E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I have seen that many of you have recommended that we beginners get a few 2' X2' sheets of various thickness aluminum in order to have it on hand for practice, etc.

I will be going to Aircraft Spruce tomorrow for some primer and am requesting to know which thickness sheets should I purchase.

Sorry that this is so late! Thanks in advance for the advice.

Free aluminum sheets/scraps

I have lots of scraps as do many builders. If you lived in my area I would be happy to give you scraps to practice on. I am sure you wont have to go far to find some builders in your area that would give you scraps and a few pointers. This is what we builders like to do.

Steve

.025 and .032. That will give you plenty to practice on and even make a few things you may have in mind. I ordered an extra blank panel so I could try out a few options and instrument placements. There are places to use it up too, so if you want to get a thick piece (.062?) that may be worth it.

Better bet is to get the kits Vans sells for the toolbox and I think they have another project too. I got the toolbox and I have to say it looks like **** and doesn't hardly open because the hinge binds. I hide it in my garage so nobody sees it. I am really glad I made the errors on it rather than the empennage!

I envy you being so close to ACS. Have fun!

.016 .020 .032 But check your local scrap yard and get some by the pound and $ave!!

Better bet is to get the kits Vans sells for the toolbox and I think they have another project too. I got the toolbox and I have to say it looks like **** and doesn't hardly open because the hinge binds. I hide it in my garage so nobody sees it. I am really glad I made the errors on it rather than the empennage!

RockWood... I built the "airfoil" kit at Synergy Air before I started my RV12 project. Now I have a high school student building in my garage and I am his "senior project mentor" so I had him build... the "airfoil" kit! Circle of life?

Jeff