Kyle Carroll

I'm New Here
I'm about to make the plunge and purchase an RV-8 kit, and I'm probably getting ahead of myself here, but I've been looking around but haven't found anything definitive...what surfaces did you leave un-riveted, or temporarily riveted, to aid in the EAA inspection. Is this a necessary step, or can I fully rivet everything once I'm ready? Thanks!

Are you referring to having an EAA tech person look at your work? Ask him. In the US this is strictly voluntary.
For the final A/W inspection - the only one required - all the riveting should be done. The plane should be ready to fly except for inspection plates and cowlings removed. Ask the inspector (FAA or DAR) for details, when you get there.

tech inspection

Kyle
Welcome and enjoy
Join the local EAA chapter, find out who will be your Tech Advisor and give him/her a call.
They all do things about the same but a call will help get you prepared. Typically they like to make a visit early on to spot issues while there is time to correct them. If your first part is the VS, I would expect a visit before it's completely buttoned up. If you're work is good (no reason to expect otherwise) then the next visit might be after the tail is complete or even whenever fuel tanks are almost sealed. Mine told me to call before I closed the wings but as I have a new advisor now, I will schedule a visit before sealing the tanks.
I don't think Tech inspections are mandatory but look good in your builder log.

That's good to hear. I was under the impression that it was mandatory during the final inspection, but I guess I was reading build logs from another country (Canada?). Thank's for clearing that up.

wirejock - Thanks for that info as well, I'll definitely have to join the local EAA chapter out here and talk to them. I wasn't aware of the whole Tech Adviser ordeal. Good to know there's going to be someone to spot my flaws :)

Last edited: