marchudson

Well Known Member
I've talked to ECI and am just not getting a warm fuzzy about what type of sump to go with. Here's what I've determined so far.

IO-360
9:1 compression
Constant speed.
Silverhawk fuel injection
Nickel cylinders
Tapered Fins
Lightspeed plasma on one side
Slick Mag with impulse on the other side

I would like to get horizontal cold air induction but will this fit on an RV-7? Forward or rear facing??? I have the slick (non-snorkel) cowl.

Any input on above setup would be appreciated.

Thanks Marc

I just got finished chasing this down for my 9A, but learned quite a bit about the 7 cowl in the process.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here - but from what I was told by ECI, the standard ECI forward facing horizontal-draft sump will work on the Vans cowl, but the James cowl is too tight, and requires the Superior forward facing sump. It's a couple inches higher on the bottom and allows more clearance.

I think it comes down to how much work do you want fabricating or do you want bolt-on and go.

With the Superior forward facing cold sump, nothing in the FWF kit from Vans fits....ok that might be an exaggeration. But you will be fabricating or adjusting brackets, cables, FAB housings.

I have a Superior sump, AFP injection and James Cowl.... it is definitely extra work.

I've got the ECI IO360 w/ cold air 8.5:1 w/ silverhawk, and I'm using the Vans cowl on my RV-7A.

I was told the Horizontial /Cold air needs to be the 7 degree version in order for it to fit under the cowl. This is what I bought, but have not fitted the cowl yet (very soon).

The biggest issue is getting an exhaust system to fit under the Van's Slick cowl. Vettermen Exhaust (4 pipe) was the only vender that had one that would fit on an 7A model. For the 7 model, I believe you can use a 4 into 1 model.

Then your mixture/throttle cable routing is different for the horizontial compared to others. There is also issues with providing a return fuel line to purge the fuel back to the tanks during hot starts.

On my 7A model, I needed a 1.5' spacer for the 90 degree oil filter adapter to fit large size filter.

Sniffle valve.

Be sure to spec out the exhaust system, before you buy the engine.

I have a superior cold air sump system with the Van's "slick" cowl and Vetterman 4 pipe system. Everything fits great (given the normal fiberglass mods necessary for the Van's snorkel to fit) , but I did have to make my own throttle and mixture brackets. Much cleaner than the Van's system anyway. If you can go this way, I'd highly recommend it.