frankh

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

Something else we Lyc clone drivers can argue over..:)

Which style of oil filter adaptor causes less mess?

I have the angled (45 deg up) adaptor that neatly dumps about a quart of oil onto (and into) my Pmag if I don't plug the whole area up with paper towels.

I see in this months Kitpanes rag the editor complaining about the mess made with the straight back style, but at least you have the option of poking a hole and rotating the hole downwards into a funnel with the straight back style which you don't have with the 45 up style.

I am considering changing to the straight back style (actually for a different reason) but wondered what folks experience with the two styles were and which is best (or more to the point least worse..:)..)

Thanks

Frank

Regardless of the type adapter used, just fabricate a "V" shaped trough that will slide up through everything and stop under the base of the filter. When you loosen the filter, the oil will drain down the trough away from the engine and accessories. I made my first one out of cardboard lined with duct tape. Once I got it formed just right, I remade it out of aluminum.

THIS IS WHAT I DID.....

frankh said:
About the mess made with the straight back style, but at least you have the option of poking a hole and rotating the hole downwards into a funnel with the straight back style which you don't have with the 45 up style.

I am considering changing to the straight back style (actually for a different reason) but wondered what folks experience with the two styles were and which is best (or more to the point least worse..:)..)

Thanks

Frank

Straight back style...... Take a one gallon or less plastic jug with the cap on and cut out the bottom till it will shove up under (like a scoop) and sort of around the lower part of the filter. But first, back off the filter so you can remove it by hand. Place the jug and spin the filter back and let it drip. When done, remove filter and then the jug.

When you install the new filter, and it is hard to reach the filter nut with a torque wrench, You will find that if you turn 3/4 turn past gasget contact, you will end up with correct torque value. :D :D

Warren

shake n bake!

FWIW, for years I've just wrapped the filter with a shake n bake oven cooking bag, pulled tight up to the oil filter bracket...unscrew the filter, let the oil drain into the bag, remove the filter and set aside, remove the bag and dispose of the oil. It's very rare I ever spill a drop and the bag will stand the heat of 200 degree oil with ease...

I've seen people use funnels and all other manner of gadgets and I've witnessed some mighty fine and complete spills of oil...but nothing seems so simple as the bag method.

Bob

Do you have the straight back style or the 45 deg upright type.

I can see this working with the SB but the upright seems impossible (read i'm too lazy to find a solution) to contain

Frank

90 degree no-spill

I have heard the 90 degree no-spill oil filter adapters work well (like Casper). Vans sells them. Has anybody used them? Pros, cons? I'm going to get one I think. Thanks. Dave fuse RV-8

Lets put it this way

That adaptor looks exactly like the one fitted to my engine that makes a huge mess when I unscrew the filter..I mean think about it...The oil filter has the oil end down...Sure it has a non return valve in the filter but there is a good amount of oil that dumps sraight down...And it is very difficult t fashion anything to go under the filter to catch it all.

I'm thinking of swapping back to the straight style where you can fashion a funnel to go underneath the darned thing.

My 2 cents

Frank

You're not alone Frank....

You might find some info on this thread from a while ago....or at least have the consolation of knowing that you're not the only one..... :rolleyes: