Walt

Well Known Member
Switching to dual LSE ignitions on my O360 so I going to get rid of the skytec PM and either get one of these 3, opinions appreciated! Any problems with fit that anybody is aware of? (vetterman crossover exhaust)
Skytec HiTorque
Skytec Inline (new model)
B&C (don't really want to spend this much though)
Thanks,
Walt RV7A

I've been running the Skytec Hi-Torque for quite a number of years now and have had no problems.

IMHO, SkyTec is JUNK! They sell starters that are too small to do the job and their internal magnets disintegrate at the first kick-back, which you are likely to get with an electronic ignition. Go ahead and buy a SkyTec, but be prepared to eventually pony up for a B&C down the road, probably when you are hundreds of miles from your home airport.

Not to buck the trend of this thread, but we have installed thousands of SkyTec starters over the years. We are currently using the NL model, as the default starter, on all of the Lycoming engines we do, both certified and TMX experimental. We have had very good results.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Yeah, I know that most of the engine guys are supplying them with their engines. Even my engine from Bart had one on it. However, the smaller, PM starter has a lousy reputation. One of the Rocket flyers in my area actually dug into this with SkyTec and they eventually conceded that he should be using the Hi-Torque starter. He pushed them enough that they coughed up the starter free of charge to him to make him happy.

If you are planning to use electronic ignition, you are more suceptable to kick back on starting. All it takes in one time to ruin the permanent magnets in the SkyTec. Perhaps the SkyTec is great for dual magneto engines, but my experience, and those of about 20-30 RVers in the area is that if you are running EI, either go with the larger SkyTec or just buy something that won't break to begin with, and that's a B&C starter.

Starters

We've had a B&C on our Pitts S-2A for over 5 years and it has been flawless. Recently the old Bendix on our Lance failed. Our local mechanic talked us into another Bendix and essentially refused to put a Sky Tech in - he said the ones he installed have had nothing but trouble. B&C for my -8. Bill

Yes but

f1rocket said:
If you are planning to use electronic ignition, you are more suceptable to kick back on starting. All it takes in one time to ruin the permanent magnets in the SkyTec. Perhaps the SkyTec is great for dual magneto engines, but my experience, and those of about 20-30 RVers in the area is that if you are running EI, either go with the larger SkyTec or just buy something that won't break to begin with, and that's a B&C starter.

The Emag/Pmags have a run mode start delay that should avoid kickback. I only have 42 hours on my PM Skytech so I don't have a lot of experience with it.

Frank
7a TMXIO360, Emag/Pmag.

Its not run mode start delay that means a P/E-mag will avoid a kick back, its the basic design. A P/E-mag cannot spark before TDC when starting - just can't happen. They measure the rotation position of the engine in a completely different way to the other EIs.

I know plenty of people with Sky-tec starters who are very happy. Yes, B&C are very good (I used to own one - came with the IO-540), but Skt-tec will do the job.

Pete

The Skytec issue has been done to death already, there is plenty in the archives to look at. In a nutshell, a Skytec may work just fine on an engine with a heavy prop and a big battery. On our engines, with (often) lightweight props and (usually) small battery, the Skytec is not suitable.

Edit- I should clarify- I am refering to the Flyweight Skytec model. The hi-torque ones are built with wound-field motors (like the B & C) and should work much better.

Last edited:
If you're leaning towards a Sky-Tec Hi Torque HT, you might try these guys;

http://autoexpress.safeshopper.com/2212/15820.htm?640

On their home page the price is listed at $249, but their eBay store price is $225.

http://stores.ebay.com/Auto-Express

They're listed as airboat or experimental starters, for liability reasons I'm sure. But, compare them to the pics of the HT Sky-Tec, and besides missing the FAA/PMA sticker, I can't tell them apart. They look identical and this one is 200 bucks cheaper than the Sky-Tec.

Thanks for all the help...B&C wins

I bit the bullet today and ordered the B&C. I have been very pleased with the alternator/reg from them and I believe they provide a very high quality product. I'm also a Nuckle subscriber and like to support the small business owner whenever possible. I think the new inline from skytec would have been the next best choice but for an extra $50 I got the BC. Thanks everybody for all the input.

Why change?

The problem with the Skytec PM and LSE ignitions was caused by the computer becoming confused and changing the timing, sometimes causing essentially a backfire, if a power drop occured which was below that required by the LSE system to function. This backfire could break the casting on the nose of the starter. If a person had a low battery, poor cables, whatever, the starter draws so much it could cause this condition. All it required was a software change which Klaus told me he incorporated in all his systems starting in January 2005, so although I don't think Skytec has changed it's position warranty wise, you shouldn't have to change your starter.

Knick Curtis

Good Company and Nice Starter

jbDC9 said:

On their home page the price is listed at $249, but their eBay store price is $225.

http://stores.ebay.com/Auto-Express

They're listed as airboat or experimental starters, for liability reasons I'm sure. But, compare them to the pics of the HT Sky-Tec, and besides missing the FAA/PMA sticker, I can't tell them apart. They look identical and this one is 200 bucks cheaper than the Sky-Tec.

I bought one of these starters over a year ago. Nice product at a great price. These are Brand New Starters and they sell a lot of them.

Gary Bricker

I have a Sky Tec on a IO470 cont. and it is great. I know of plenty of folks that have them also and no problem. I have a new IO360 from Aerosport and it came with a Sky Tec and Bart's word is as good as it gets. I also know the folks at Sky Tec and they are as upstanding as Bart. B & C could be as good also but when I have good luck with a product I don't change.

I liked my LS/PM Sky Tec

jbDC9 said:

But, compare them to the pics of the HT Sky-Tec, and besides missing the FAA/PMA sticker, I can't tell them apart. They look identical and this one is 200 bucks cheaper than the Sky-Tec.
I bought one of those autoexpress starters out of curiously as a spare. I have not used it and concure it LOOKS LIKE a Sky Tec HT, but it's different. I'm pretty sure it's a permanent magnet starter. The Sky Tec HT is a wire wound starter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I concur that the Sky Tec makes great products and has good support. Their customer service is excellent in my opinion. Their bargain priced original LS/PM permanent magnet "flyweight" does a great job. I flew with one on my RV-4 for 900 hours with no problems.

Here is a short list:

Sky Tec
LS/PM original Flyweight $350 (7.8 lbs) (Permanent Magnet)
HT sky tec original Hi-torque $425 (8.4 lbs) (wire wound)
NL hi-torque, in-line, shear pin $525 (9.4 lbs) (wire wound)

B&C $550-$580 (weight ? like sky tec HT, but $125-$155 more)

Autoexpress $250 (9 lbs) (Permanent magnet?)

Yes the LS/PM permanent magnet starter does use more juice and needs a good battery and good wiring but nothing special. Yes, RV's with light props, super high compression engines or electronic ignitions (which can be affected by low voltages) may be better served with a different starter, like the Sky Tec HT or NL models.

There are well documented solutions to address electronic ignitions on Sky Tec's web site ( http://www.skytecair.com/EI.htm ). I least the current draw below, and the B&C draws almost as much as the LS/PM sky tec!

The NL is better, but was made for planes that could not fit the LS/PM or HT, not because there was a problem with the other models. They also added a shear pin to the design. Most RV's can use any of the models.

B&C is just over priced IMHO and offers nothing more than the SkyTec HT or NL. If you want the deluxe, get the NEW Sky Tec NL starter, it's still cheaper than the B&C. Sky-Tec replaced B&C for the OEM starter on Robinson Helicopters. The LS/PM will serve most RV'ers well, except the most picky (and you know who you are) RV'ers. :rolleyes:

Peak current draw for different brands of starters:

Sky Tec LS....... 320 amps
B&C................. 298 amps
Magnalite.......... 282 amps
Sky Tec NL....... 236 amps
Lamar.............. 226 amps
Prestolite......... 194 amps

PC680 odyssey can pulse discharge 680 amps for 5 seconds to 400 amps for 30 seconds. A fully charge PC680 can feed a skytec LS/PM easily, but the voltage drop needs to be kept to a min. Key is a good ground and short battery to starter wire/cable of sufficient gauge AWG (#2 min). This will minimize voltage drop during cranking. My engine starts in a couple of blades or second.

Note, kick backs can KILL ANY starter and ring gear. Kick backs are NOT normal and should not happen. When they do, most of the reasons have nothing to do with the starter. http://www.skytecair.com/Kickback.htm

At $580 B&C is nice and if that is what you want or have its a good choice. The comparable Sky Tec HT or the better NL starter, both are all ball bearing and comparable to the B&C at less cost. The LS/PM is much maligned, but it's characteristics and limitations are fine for most installations. It is the lightest and least cost starter, but not as forgiving of electical and engine issues.

Last edited: