airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I've got an IO360 with Superior forward facing cold-air sump and Bendix injection, and currently have the Magna-Flite starter on the engine. This starter does not have enough torque to reliably swing past the compression stroke with my lightweight WW200RV prop, which is a known problem for this model starter.

My question for the guys that have been there and done that - will the Skytec or B&C starter (or others) fit this configuration? I am in the process of fitting my lower cowl now, so if I need to carve on some fiberglass for clearance this is the time to find out.

The Best

SKY-TEC
149-NL
149-NLR
122-NL ....Best starter on the planet! This cranks our 540 / carbon prop / 12.5 - 1 compression motor with ease.....:D

Last edited:
I've got an IO360 with Superior forward facing cold-air sump and Bendix injection, and currently have the Magna-Flite starter on the engine. This starter does not have enough torque to reliably swing past the compression stroke with my lightweight WW200RV prop, which is a known problem for this model starter.

My question for the guys that have been there and done that - will the Skytec or B&C starter (or others) fit this configuration? I am in the process of fitting my lower cowl now, so if I need to carve on some fiberglass for clearance this is the time to find out.

Sky-Tec has three or four models that will fit your engine. One of them is a high torque model that might be just the ticket.
http://www.skytecair.com/Lycoming.htm

So the Sky-Tec permanent magnet starter is better than the Magna-Flite permanent magnet starter? I was under the impression that the problem lie in the permanent magnet versus wound field design.

Edit - nevermind - I was looking at the XLT instead of the referenced NL, I see it now....

Last edited:
Starter

Greg,

When I first got my airplane I had some slow starting issues on my IO-360 with a C/S prop and found the Skytech lightweight starter totally inadequate. I had to send it back twice for a rebuild after it ate itself. I ended up getting the more powerful 149NL high torque starter and never had a problem since.

Oly

149NL is what I put on. It cranks good and strong. I amputated one mounting lug on the starter, otherwise, it fit great! Getting that checkbook out is the sad part!

I'll order a 149NL in the morning, thanks for the input.

Anybody need a slightly pre-loved Magna-Flite? :rolleyes: