Sig600

Well Known Member
For those of you with iPads, which size should I buy? Any idea how much space Foreflight or WingX take up when loaded with charts and plates?

16G more than enough. ForeFlight takes 16.9MB (not HD version).

Last edited:
Yep

Sig, I have The weather channel, Google maps, the Augusta, Ga. Chronicle, Kindle, The Drudge Report, Facebook and SkyCharts Pro and only use 5 Gig...so 16 ought to be plenty, even tho' I have the 32 Gig iPad.....I had no idea how much space I'd use.

Best,

ForeFlight with all $75 charts downloaded

I purchased a 64Gig iPad 2 specifically for a flying tool. My experience is that loading Foreflight and loading every download that is available for $75/year I'm using less than 16G. I've also got over 1000 photos and some music. I've also discovered the utility of the IPad so I'm glad to have the memory.

IMHO unless the budget is very tight get at least 32 Gig so you can do other things too, and even compare options like FlightPlan.com, which from the app store allows free sectional downloads. However 16 Gig will do the job.

My wife is also using the iPad when I'm not, so the extra memory is extra room for her.

I don't let the teens touch it! :D

I am using a 32 GB 3G iPad2. Both Foreflight and SkyCharts Pro are installed with just about everything they offer downloaded.

If those of you with iPads go to Settings>General>About> you can see how much storage space you have for STUFF.

My 32 GB iPad2 says:
Capacity = 29.0 GB
Available = 13.0 GB

Both APPs listed above will fit on a 16 GB iPad but I wanted to be able to use my iPad to replace my notebook computer when on the road. I have Documents2Go loaded and am using DropBox to access my desktop files / records.

At the present time, I have a lot of photos from AirVenture on my iPad so I do expect that there will be just over 16 GB of space available after I remove the photos just like there was before I went to AirVenture.

Have had a personal computer since 1983, all I can say is that you cannot have too much memory or storage space on a computing device. If you do not have the money, the 16 GB iPad will make a wonderful EFB. If you want to use it to replace a notebook, get the largest one that you can afford.

Just checked mine

I have the 62GB Verizon 3G with Foreflight, WingX, Skycharts and a ton of other stuff including a couple of books --- my info page says my capacity is 59.1GB and I still have 52.8GB available --

JUST LOVE IT!!

Ron