rph142

Well Known Member
Im going to cut the hole for a NACA vent tonight and I need to know which side it should go on. I think I read somewhere that one side wont work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Im going to cut the hole for a NACA vent tonight and I need to know which side it should go on. I think I read somewhere that one side wont work. Any advice would be appreciated.
I had the same thought before we installed ours. We put ours on the right because we had room on that side of our panel for the vent.

I don?t know if it might be different for a -3 or -4, but the owner of a -6 that has them on both sides said he gets the same amount of airflow out of each one.

Does it really matter?

I'm not trying to be a smart ___, but the plane is symmetrical, so why would it matter which side you put it on? Both sides get the same amount of air don't they?

Had one on each side of my -6 and both put out more than enough fresh air. I think you can put it on whichever side gives you the most room behind the panel.

I'm not trying to be a smart ___, but the plane is symmetrical, so why would it matter which side you put it on? Both sides get the same amount of air don't they?

You get prop upwash on one side and prop downwash on the other. It makes a difference.
tm

At first I thought it wouldnt matter, but this plane proves me wrong every time i make that assumption. I was thinking P factor might play into it somehow because the plane is always flying with a little of left yaw. I guess its not a big deal. I plan on cutting the hole on the lower right side of the skin just behind the firewall. Thanks everyone.

PS. I used Pro-seal, old Pro-seal, to glue mine on and they are never coming off. Duck tape was used to hold them in place until the Pro-seal cured.

Don't forget to put some screening (hardware cloth) over the opening to keep the bugs out.

Don't forget to put some screening (hardware cloth) over the opening to keep the bugs out.
I was planning on prosealing them on (also with old proseal:D) but I hadn't though of the screening.

It's a good idea, but how would you mount it? Trapped in the proseal between the vent and skin? If so, then with my luck it would immediately need replaced and I'd have to try to remove the vent.

I know it would plug up easier, but could the bug screen be put inline on the scat tube side?

I was planning on prosealing them on (also with old proseal:D) but I hadn't though of the screening.

It's a good idea, but how would you mount it? Trapped in the proseal between the vent and skin? If so, then with my luck it would immediately need replaced and I'd have to try to remove the vent.

I know it would plug up easier, but could the bug screen be put inline on the scat tube side?

I screened where the scat tube attaches.

I screened where the scat tube attaches.
What Scott said. Here's a picture:

Don't forget to put the clamp on so you can get to the screw after the plane is finished. That may not be an issue with the -3 as I think the entire forward skin comes off, does it not?

You get prop upwash on one side and prop downwash on the other. It makes a difference.
tm

Especially if you have a 3 or 4 with cowl cheeks. Before you cut out the hole take into account the rudder pedal and associated linkage as I am sure it will interfere with your vent. I pulled my fresh air off the rear baffle with great success. If interested send me an email and I will explain with pictures.
Rv3 pilot

What Scott said. Here's a picture:

Don't forget to put the clamp on so you can get to the screw after the plane is finished. That may not be an issue with the -3 as I think the entire forward skin comes off, does it not?

Holy cow Bill, with as much as you've talked about building light, you have a steel hose clamp on that NACA vent? !! (Just ribbin' you), A good old zip tie will be plenty, and save a tenth of an ounce or two. :). I can't speak too loud, I have a few rivets as well as proseal on my vents.

Holy cow Bill, with as much as you've talked about building light, you have a steel hose clamp on that NACA vent? !! (Just ribbin' you), A good old zip tie will be plenty, and save a tenth of an ounce or two. :). I can't speak too loud, I have a few rivets as well as proseal on my vents.
Scott, that isn't steel, it is Ti. ;)

You have to balance weight against maintenance. I figured a nut driver is easier than using wire cutters to remove a zip tie. Besides, w/ my luck, I would cut a wire with the wire cutters and miss the zip tie.

Seriously, I did the excess off the clamp.

Also, you need to see the clamp I used on the other end. Check out this picuture:

That may not be an issue with the -3 as I think the entire forward skin comes off, does it not?
Yea the entire front top skin comes off on the 3.

Especially if you have a 3 or 4 with cowl cheeks. Before you cut out the hole take into account the rudder pedal and associated linkage as I am sure it will interfere with your vent. I pulled my fresh air off the rear baffle with great success. If interested send me an email and I will explain with pictures.
Rv3 pilot
It looks like it will indeed interfere with the rudder controls if I try to mount it under the cowl cheek. I need to double check this with the cowl cheek in place. I also found that the vent i bought will only work on the left because the exhaust angles up 90 degrees. Could you post those pics of your setup?

Yea the entire front top skin comes off on the 3.

It looks like it will indeed interfere with the rudder controls if I try to mount it under the cowl cheek. I need to double check this with the cowl cheek in place. I also found that the vent i bought will only work on the left because the exhaust angles up 90 degrees. Could you post those pics of your setup?

Pm me with your email, I will no longer post any pictures on this forum as I had a bad experience with someone on this site hijacking my pictures.
Rv3