Ant CB

I recently bought an experimental aeroplane and have done a lot of the maintenance (under a LAME's close eye) which has introduced me into the world of hands on stuff.

Now I've got this crazy idea that I should build an RV.... so which one?

I love the idea of an RV-10, 4 seats, big engine, lots of room but I guess it costs a fair bit more than a 2 seater with a 4 pot engine.

I know I know, it depends on what I want to do with it. I guess touring primarily. I have a Pitts for aerobatics so I want something I can take my wife and go somewhere at a reasonable clip.

The bits I know I want are;
- Nose wheel
- constant speed prop
- side by side seating

The only part of the build process that intimidates me is the composite work, the rest I'm pretty sure I can figure out with help and instruction.

My father in law is a former Qantas engineer and has a very good collection of tools and equipment, although a lot of them are over 20 years old. We might make it a bit of a joint project.

Anyway Thoughts? Experiences?

Cheers,

6 or 7

Hello Anthony,

Since you want a side by side with a nosewheel, your choice is down to two aircraft. The 6A or 7A. Unless of course you want to go with a 10 which is a much different airplane as you have already observed. There was a recent thread about a comparison between the two, or at least about the attributes of the 6. Many feel that the 6 is the best value.

Actually, I don't know if Vans still produces the 6A kits. If not, your decision is made for you.

*Oops...forgot the 9A...see below*

Either will be a heck of an airplane.

Good luck,

Tony

Last edited:
RV9A??

Hello,
The 9A could be a good choice as you already have a Pitts. It's a side by side two seater non aerobatic.
For the tools, it is very specific so you will need dimpling/ riveting/...tools and if you haven't the good tools, the building will be more difficult. RV tool kits are available in different stores listed here on the VAF website.

Have a good day

Last edited:
9a

Hello,
The 9A could be a good choice as you already have a Pitts. It's a side by side two seater non aerobatic.
For the tools, it is very specific so you will need dimpling/ riveting/...tools and if you haven't the good tools, the building will be more difficult. RV tool kits are available in different stores listed here on the VAF website.

Have a good day

Oh yeah. I don't know why I did not think of the 9A. DUH. Good catch Bastien.

Sounds like 9A is the RV for you. Non-aerobatic, so it was designed to be used as more of a utility/cross country machine. But there's other options too...

Now, I know I'm gonna catch a ton of hate for recommending something other than an RV, but here goes...If you're looking for just a XC machine, then not much can touch the canard design in terms of efficiency. Look at VariEZEs and Long EZs. They are very fast, sip gas, are affordable (even moreso than RVs in some cases), and have incredible range. There's others...Vlocity namely. 2-4 seats depending on model. They have their drawbacks...long takeoff roll, no acro, etc. But if that doesn't bother you, then you should consider one.

For me, the RV is the best choice because I want a plane that can do XC and acro, and I only need 2 seats. The versatility of the plane is the main draw to me. But, if you don't care about acro, then something like a VariEZE might be a better choice. That's my $0.02. In the end, buy the plane YOU want, not what others tell you you should get.;)

*Flame suit engaged*

Last edited: