mkjprice

I am a CFII with Multi-Commercial rating, and I don't want to have to go down the road of owning a certificated airplane. I am a big guy with big friends. I am approximately 260lbs and 6'4" tall. I really like the RV-8 but I have been reading and was wondering if my size would take me out of the forward CG limits of the airplane. I am planning on a 180hp with fixed pitch as there doesn't seem to be that big of an advantage for the extra cost. I am looking to order my kit in the early part of next year, and I am just trying to get educated which RV is the best for me. I know that the -3 and -4 are out of the picture and I am not really interested in LSA. Please give me your input.

Thanks,

Mike

A big guy with big friends may want to reconsider C/S prop for getting that extra HP on takeoff!

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Mike, welcome to VAF:D

The 10 will certainly work for you, but it is a station wagon, and not a sports car.

The 8 can be ordered with the tall pilot option, moves the front seat back a bit.

Also, if you are broad shouldered, the 8 can be equipped with the Show Planes canopy setup, this allows more shoulder room.

As to C/G, move the battery back. There are RV 8s with IO 540 engines in them. so it you can make one balance like that, a 4 banger is a snap.

Again, welcome.

A big guy with big friends may want to reconsider C/S prop for getting that extra HP on takeoff!

Especially in the mountains of Utah. :) In fact, the majority of RV's up our way, are C/S. I find it to be a real advantage for these higher altitudes.

L.Adamson --- RV6A/ Hartzell CS

Find a copy of an RV 8 weight and balance program and play around with various weighting conditions to see how it works for you.

I would rather have a CS prop than a fancy glass panel.

The RV-8 will work great for you. Constant speed props are nice but certainly not necessary for any RV. I've flown my -6 out of Leadville, CO with a F/P wood prop when the DA was over 13,500' with no problems. Summertime!

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I realize the power gain with a CS prop expecially at my altitude of 5022' at U14 (Nephi, UT). That is going to add about 15k to the cost of the airplane, and more maintenance right? Wouldn't it just be better to get a 200hp engine with a fixed prop and still be similar cost to a 180hp engine? I don't know which way to go.

As for the taller and wider pilot options --- about how much does that add to cost of the plane? I am trying to ballpark it, and I would like to come in around 75-85k ready to fly. I don't plan on an extravagent panel, as that can be upgraded at a later date. I also thought of upgrading to a C/S Prop later too.

How many RV's are ther in Utah, and is there anyone out there in Utah land that I could buy a ride in? There is a guy at my airport that is working on a -6 but I am not sure when that will be done.

C.G.

One further point, Mike. Both the pilot and the passenger in an RV-8 are behind the C.G. You can only move the C.G. too far forward with a very light pilot and no passenger.

Pat

wood prop

A lightweight wood or composite prop would help keep the CG aft a bit.

My RV6A has a wood prop with an O320 and i'm perfectly happy with the performance. Of course, my previous ride was a 100hp cub so it may just be a matter of perspective. ;)

I like the idea of the 10 but I want to do some light aerobatics and from what I have read that is not recommended (or allowed) in the 10. Am I wrong on this?

One further point, Mike. Both the pilot and the passenger in an RV-8 are behind the C.G. You can only move the C.G. too far forward with a very light pilot and no passenger.

Pat

Good to know -- so what you're saying is that my lardbutt should be fine.:D

No acro in the RV-10. You will get more performance with a CS prop than an extra 20 HP with a FP. Put the battery in the back and you are good to go.

Especially in the mountains of Utah. :) In fact, the majority of RV's up our way, are C/S. I find it to be a real advantage for these higher altitudes.

L.Adamson --- RV6A/ Hartzell CS

Not trying to nit pick, but just trying to get the plan straight --- Have you flown a fixed pitch plane too? I have not done a lot of High Altitude flying but I have done a lot of High DA flying (I use to live in Phoenix). I like flying a C/S just because you have more control over your engine operations. However I have never flown like aircraft, with like engines, only differnce being CS or FP. There has always been a horsepower difference or a RG difference.

Mike

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I realize the power gain with a CS prop expecially at my altitude of 5022' at U14 (Nephi, UT). That is going to add about 15k to the cost of the airplane, and more maintenance right?

Can easily be half of that $15,000 for a new prop. Look on the Van's website for prop prices. Maintenance is down the road quite aways, and isn't all that expensive. Yes, fixed pitch props will work on RVs just fine. But the C/S will get you off the ground quicker, you'll climb faster, it will be quieter in flight, and has good braking abilities for landing. This is much more noticeable at higher altitude airports (such as we have) than sea-level.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

No acro in the RV-10. You will get more performance with a CS prop than an extra 20 HP with a FP. Put the battery in the back and you are good to go.

That sucks doesn't it. I would love to have a family cruiser that can do acro with utility loading.

So it looks like a C/S Prop is anywhere from 6-12k (based on Van's site). How much is a prop governer and associated hardware? Additionally, what is the increased cost for an engine that accepts a governer - or are the lycoming's readily available enough that it doesn't make that much of a difference?

I just want to make sure that no one thinks that I am coming across as a jerk - I know sometimes I can sound that way when I type. I really want to have all my facts straight before I take potentially a $100k plunge.

Mike

Not trying to nit pick, but just trying to get the plan straight --- Have you flown a fixed pitch plane too? I have not done a lot of High Altitude flying but I have done a lot of High DA flying (I use to live in Phoenix). I like flying a C/S just because you have more control over your engine operations. However I have never flown like aircraft, with like engines, only differnce being CS or FP. There has always been a horsepower difference or a RG difference.

I've flown several fixed pitch RVs. And several F/P RV's have flown on numerous trips with us. The difference is self evident and very noticeable. Especially when it comes to gaining altitude quickly, and reducing power for landing. The F/Ps have to reduce power far back. Otherwise, it's tough for them to loose airspeed. They're are a lot of RV owners in the Salt lake City area. Most have C/S for the reasons I've outlined. I simply wouldn't want an fixed pitch RV. It was the first option I planned for.

As a side note, there is a mountain pass that we frequently use to get to an untowered airport, that envolves ducking under Class B airspace. It requires a 2000' fpm drop in altitude. The constant speed easily does this with no build up in airspeed. This allows us to be at a very reasonable pattern speed, as the airport is very close to this mountain range. This just won't work with a fixed pitch.

L.Adamson

So it looks like a C/S Prop is anywhere from 6-12k (based on Van's site). How much is a prop governer and associated hardware? Additionally, what is the increased cost for an engine that accepts a governer - or are the lycoming's readily available enough that it doesn't make that much of a difference?

Van's engines are already to go, for a C/S.

BTW--- Nephi was part of my phase 1 airport list. U42, Wendover & Nephi. Perhaps you seen that good looking yellow/grey RV with black and white invasion strips a few years ago... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Pat

Ditto. The allowable CG range per Van's is 78.70" to 86.82", pilot sits at 91.78 and passenger behind that.

Van's engines are already to go, for a C/S.

BTW--- Nephi was part of my phase 1 airport list. U42, Wendover & Nephi. Perhaps you seen that good looking yellow/grey RV with black and white invasion strips a few years ago... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

No I haven't - But I sure would love to. Which airport do you have to duck under class B to get into?

Nephi just got a resurface again this year. I am working on putting together an airshow/fly in for 2012 in Nephi. I was in the process for last year, and I had Kyle and Amanda Franklin coming in but we fell short of funding the event.