luv2flypilot

Well Known Member
I am seriously looking into purchasing an RV and want to make sure that I choose the best plane for my needs. I am leaning towards the RV-7A because of the following reasons:
1) I currently own and fly a Cessna 172 that is a tri-gear aircraft and have no tail wheel experience.
2) I live in an area that can be quit windy often and I know a tri-gear aircraft is easier to land in windy conditions.
3) I am a large guy at 6'2" and 240 lbs. I want a two place aircraft that has a useful load that can accommodate myself and another large adult and full fuel. I believe the RV-6A would be limited for me based on its useful load limits.
4) I would prefer a plane that is a side by side seating with my passengers/co-pilot. As well as it would be much easier to train in for getting flying experience in a dual control aircraft.
5) I want a plane that I can fly from my home location in California to Oregon where my family lives (approx 370 miles) on a single tank of fuel and get their within 2 to 2.5 hours. Tired of those 4.5 hour trips in my Cessna 172 and having to stop half way for fuel in order to be safe.
6) I am looking for a sport plane that I can perform basic aerobatic maneuvers such as loops, rolls, spins, etc. Nothing crazy just the basics. I was thinking about getting a Pitts before learning about the Van's RV aircraft, but this would not be an all around good airplane to have, especially for trips to Oregon!
7) I hear Van's aircrafts are very fun to fly! I am very interested in visiting the Van's factory within the next 2-3 months when I take my next trip up to Oregon. I would love a demo ride to confirm "This is what I want".

Depending on what Van's I do purchase, what size engine should I go with? I have seen so many posts on this site stating that the lighter IO-320 engines are much responsive and quicker, however remember I am a larger guy and want to be able to fly at around maximum gross load 1700-1800 lbs with a passenger on cross-country trips as well. I understand that the smaller HP engines are lighter, however should I give up HP for weight and would I still be happy with the decision? For example the 7A has a useful load of 1800 lbs gross whether you go with a 160 HP or 200 HP engine would it be more beneficial for me to go with a smaller 160 HP engine due to weight so that I can carry more luggage and larger people? I would only imagine that the plane would not respond as well as with a 200 HP engine at the same weight? The Cessna 172 I own has a 160 HP engine and when I have it close to max load you can really tell, especially at take off.

I appreciate all input as I know you guys are experts in this stuff since most of you have built and are flying Van's aircraft.

Bryon Graves
Discovery Bay, California

6A vs 7A

The side to side dimension is no different. I have measured it. The 7A may have more head room and legroom (check website). Overall the 7A is probably your choice. Not sure about weight issue. Check that out thoroughly

Engine: 180 HP or higher.
Prop: Constant speed (CS) is the best IMO but I have a fixed pitch (FP) and I do OK. Lighter weight FP prop may be desirable if weight becomes an issue.

RVs are awesome. Find someone who will give you a ride and you will hooked.

Last edited:
With the bigger engine, keeping everything else light, you could "push" the gross weight when you build it (assuming you build) to allow more useful load. Remeber, it's only on paper.

Bryon,
I purchased an RV-7A a few months ago after many years of flying Cessna 150, 152, 172, 182s. I found the transition to the RV very easy. It actually feels much more predictable once in ground effect. It is important to keep power in during the flare-to-land phase compared with the Cessnas to avoid too high of a sink rate.
I also live in a windy area (Tehachapi, CA), and didn't feel comfortable going with a tail-dragger. I have a 160hp with CS prop and have no problem climbing out from my 4000' elevation airport with 2 people and 50lbs of luggage. I think the RV-7A is an excellent aircraft and have no regrets for my decision to purchase one. If you are ever in my area, let me know and I will take you for a ride,
re: chuck olsen

Last edited:
7a, 180 c/s

Use the parrallel valve motor for best power to weight and run it LOP for best economy and cruise around 160kts on 7GPH.

Personally I would avoid the smaller motor from a resale value perspective and the fact its LOP cruise will be slower and climb will be down.

Having said that there is not one area where a 160HP 7a will not out perform the 172 by a good margin.

Its not a totally awful Instrument platform either and I assume you intend to get an IFR rating for that trip if done semi regularly?

Frank 7a

frankh said:
Use the parrallel valve motor for best power to weight and run it LOP for best economy and cruise around 160kts on 7GPH.

Personally I would avoid the smaller motor from a resale value perspective and the fact its LOP cruise will be slower and climb will be down.

Having said that there is not one area where a 160HP 7a will not out perform the 172 by a good margin.

Its not a totally awful Instrument platform either and I assume you intend to get an IFR rating for that trip if done semi regularly?

Frank 7a

Frank, which motor is the parrallel valve motor you were referring to? I have been contemplating going with an IFR Van's or VFR. The trips I make to Oregon are actually only during the summer time between July and August when the weather is more predictable. I have been thinking about getting my IFR though in the near future. Just do not know how hard it would be to find an IFR Van's that I like and or purchasing a VFR plane and having it upgraded to IFR certification. I am too busy to build a plane myself, so I have been told that it would be best to find one already built and flying or it could cost me big bucks to have someone else build it for me.