rv7_for_me

I'm New Here
RVators ... I'm sorry if this question has been asked before ... but which RV should I build if I'm 6'4" tall (40" in legs and 48" in torso).

Are there any tall-ese out there that can give me some advice ... or is the best thing to do is find one and sit in it?

Thanks

Maybe

Good morning,
I've had two 6'3" guys in my -6A and there was still some head clearance left, so I think that with a thinner cushion you should fit. What confuses me is that you give your torso height as 48" and legs 40" which equals 88" but 6'4" X 12 = 76" :confused:

Regards,

Cushion-dependent.

Pierre is right! It's all in the cushion. My RV-6 seat cushion, when removed, frees up almost 6 inches.

b,
dr

Clarification!

Thanks for the quick response ... I can't see any info that compares a 6 vs 7/9. The doco I have states 7/9 - Torso 47 1/2 - 51" and Height 41" .... how does this compare to a 6? Are these measurements using a std cushion?

Just to clear up the confusion .... in my measurements ... I measured as follows (like in Van's diagram)

Height - sitting down, from bottom of bum to top of head .... and
Torso - sitting down, back of bum (against wall) to bottom of feet ...
Twice the bum measured!

Thanks

Tallness

I haven't ever had my bum measured, but I am 6' 4". If I don't have the bottom wedge under my seat cushion, I feel like the little old lady looking through the steering wheel of a Buick. My 9A would easily accomidate someone a couple inches taller than I.

Bob Kelly

pierre smith said:
Good morning,
I've had two 6'3" guys in my -6A and there was still some head clearance left, so I think that with a thinner cushion you should fit. What confuses me is that you give your torso height as 48" and legs 40" which equals 88" but 6'4" X 12 = 76" :confused:

Regards,

Pierre,
I'm 6'4" tall, 215 lb. You will find you have limited shoulder and elbow room (with a similarly sized passenger) in any of the side by side model RVs (6/7/9) The 8 and 8A offer the most room.
Charlie Kuss

TRY IT OUT

I am 6'3" and 240lbs. I am building an -8, and it has the most room. I have sat in a -4 and a -6. If you are not thin then forget a -6. I had to sit the entire time with my left elbow in my right hand just to be out of the way, very uncomfortable to say the least. None of the RV's have problems with headroom.

Best advice is to find someone nearby and ask to "try the cockpit on". That is what I did.

Don't think the issue is headroom. Take out enough cushions and you can fly any RV solo. The real issue is width, in particular with a passenger. Stuff a tall person into a shorter cockpit and the legs must splay out at the knees. Stuff two similar tall people in a side-by-side and usually the passenger has to give way, all too often maintaining the one or two leg positions that don't interfere with the copilot controls or the pilot's ability to manipulate his controls. Throw in big feet and and get a new set of problems; clearing the rudder pedals makes the above even more difficult. About all you can do is swap stick time so each guy gets his own share of leg cramps.

I'm 6-2, 34 inseam, 35 sleeves, size 13 shoes, 205 lbs. Having spent my share of time in cockeyed body positions, I chose an -8. The canopy is tall enough to use a real seat cushion, but more important, neither occupant has to share the width.....which for the pilot is about 4 inches more at the shoulders and WAY more in the knee area.

The head room in an RV-6(A) versus an RV-7(A) or 9(A) is virtually identical. Cockpit width is the same also. The only difference is in leg room. The 7 or 9 provides an additional amount of approx. 1.5 inches.

You really need to just try one on. and be sure the airplane has a seat cushion set that is easily adjustable (some builders use a set of cushions custom made for them, if they are not the same size as you it will be difficult to determine your fit). Also many of the cushion suppliers make back cushions that are way thicker than is needed. You have very little weight leaning against the seat back. You can get by with a very thin cushion here if needed, though it sounds like head room will be your most critical dimension.

As for the width comments that were posted... people of a given weight/height are built differently. Many people your size fly the side by side RV's very comfortably. Others that are broader at the shoulders/ torso find the RV-8 to be more ideal.

Another thing to keep in mind in regards to head room is that there is an approx. 3 inch range for and aft for positioning the rudder peddles in the RV-7 or 9. Depending on where they were positioned by the builder, in an airplane you try on, it may effect what your actual level of comfort/fit could be. Just something else to consider... The RV-6 has some adjustment available but not quite as much.

Last edited:
I'm very close to your size and have a -7. The fit is tight but not uncomfortable. I haven't yet flown a leg longer than an hour. Perhaps I'll feel differently after a three-hour flight. To better accommodate my height I lengthened the rudder link about an inch and a half (make sure you have full rudder authority) and Classic Aero built a set of "tall pilot" seats for me. These seat gave me another couple of inches. With these changes I am quite comfortable length-wise. Width-wise it is tight.

If I mainly flew alone or if my wife didn't mind tandem seating, the -8 would likely be my choice. The -8 gives you significantly more width. For my purposes, side-by-side seating is preferable and the -7 is working out fine so far.

Hope this is of some use

Ed

You'll be fine in anything that's an RV-6 or later. You would probably feel a little cramped in an RV-3 and -4.