N184JG

Well Known Member
Time to order a prop for my 8A , ECI Titan kit engine IO-360 with LASAR.
Hartzell or MT ?????

As with all these "which engine" questions - Your answer will come in large part with the answer to "how much money you got?!"

Money no problem, I believe the MT would be the choice. Hartzell is a great choice, but heavy. Never personally had a problem with a Hartzell (mine or other) though.

Hartzell

Read the RVator - If memory serves, they did some tests and found the fastest prop on an RV to be the Hartzell Blended Airfoil CS. Can't argue with that, if you ask me!!

Easy choice

For me at least.

Hartzel BA..Fastest, cheapest, heavyiest

MT...Slowest,expensive, lighter.

I built a 7a and if anything these birds appear to come out on the aft CG side. In other words the heavy prop is not an issue from a CG perspective....Mine is out on a 2.25 " extension (Sam James cowl) and it flys just great, no forward CG issue with a parallel valve IO360.

FRank

So 2-blade or 3?

As you know there is no 'right' answer to this. I am building a -4 and for reasons of weight and smoothness my choice is MT. (The MT range are significantly lighter.) Then you get into the 2-blade or 3 issue. I put a bit together on that issue wrt to what I see as the key issues here.

At least you will have a range of views to help you make up your own mind.

Good luck!

I have a Whirlwind 200RV and it performs great! Randy Lervold compared several props on his 8 a few years ago. Check out his site. The WW 200RV performed roght along with the BA Hartzel but is quite a bit lighter. I have about 120 hours on it and no problems. You might want to consider aWhirlwind!
Dan N742DA

which prop

Do a little research on the Whirlwind before you buy one.

Jon Weiswasser
N898JW
Montclair, NJ

Van's Test Results

In the 2003 fifth issue RVator Van wrote the best article I have seen on the subject. This is the table from RVator in 2003:

tableonlyus0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You need to read the whole article.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
MTV-15B

When I'm all done with wheel pants and in the final configuration, I'd like someone to help me generate some numbers on the MTV-15B prop I have on my 7A.

The MTV-15B is an aluminum 2 bladed, blended airfoil prop. To my knowledge, there aren't any numbers comparing it to Hartzell BA. I chose the MT because it was available at the time (Hartzell had a 14wk backlog when I ordered). Price was 600 more than Hartzell, but included balanced and powder coated balanced backing plates and nicely finished, painted and fitted kevlar spinner. I figure for the time saved, it was about a wash...

Check it out

N184JG said:
Time to order a prop for my 8A , ECI Titan kit engine IO-360 with LASAR.
Hartzell or MT ?????
Check the archives, but the choice I would recommend is a Hartzell BA, which I am pretty sure is available now, but may not be listed in vans catalog. Hartzell is going to be faster, less expensive and have more extensive support in the USA and is made in the USA. Good luck

jonweisw said:
Do a little research on the Whirlwind before you buy one.

Jon:

Is there more to this than the cracked backing plates and the oil leak on the older props?