rwtrwtau

As the subject line says, I am ready to order my prop. I've settled on the Hartzell blended airfoil from Vans. The engine is a IO-360, 180HP with Emag/Pmag combination.

My main question is, what are the relative advantages of the 72" or 74" options or is the extra 2" a minor issue? As I see it the 72" prop can be used on a taildragger if necessary, whereas the 74" can't. That is the only real issue I can think of.

Thanks
Richard

prop length

This is very general, but usually shorter props are faster and longer ones climb better. At least that is what has been bouncing around inside of my skull for a while, but for the life of me I don't know how it got there.

Two other factors to consider: ground clearance and ability to clip.

The 74 will have 1" less ground clearance which may or may not be a big deal depending on the model and what runway you operate out of.

The 74 will, however, allow up to a 1" clip should you have a "minor" ding at the tip (at least that's what I called my screwup on my last Hartzell). With a 72 (minimum diameter), that same ding will set you back $$$$ for new blades...

Deene.

The 74" can be used on TD's I believe... Go with the 74", it's not that big a deal, so you mind as well.

74" will most likely climb better but will be slower in cruise than the 72". At least that's what Hartzell tells me.

I've got a 72" and haven't been outrun by a 74" (yet). :rolleyes: