• Phillips XC 20W50

Votes: 73 36.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Adding ADDITIONAL additive

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

riffelj

I've got an IO-360 (Superior, roller, ECI cylinders) and have been using AeroShell 15W50. Just wondering what most others are using.

15W-50 is a good oil. It got really popular during the O-320H skyhawk days because it has the antiwear additive called out for by an AD on the "H" motors. Otherwise you had to add the Lyc antiwear stuff to your oil. Aeroshell W100 plus now has the same additive. Personally, I still like straight W100 unless cold starts are necessary. I've broken down Navajo TIO 540's with 2000 hours of W100 time and found sweat fingerprints still on the bearing journals. 15W-50 is generally acknowledged to exacerbate small leaks compared to a straight oil and it costs more. In the shops we used to call it "black gold". As an aside, when checking oil filters for metal we used to call that "panning for gold". If you found metal, the shop made money.

shell 100 when hot
Phillips 20/50 when cold
plus some marvel mystery oil for good luck

Marvel mystery oil

I have been using XC 20/50 with camguard in my ECI 0-360. What does the Marvel mystery oil do?

I have been using XC 20/50 with camguard in my ECI 0-360. What does the Marvel mystery oil do?

MMO, when mixed with 100LL fuel, supposedly helps reduce lead deposits from sticking to exhaust valve stems and spark plug electrodes.

I don't know of anyone who's seen much benefit from mixing it into the crankcase oil, but do know of several folks who mix it into the fuel of small Continental engines (C65/85/90, O-200, O-300, etc) and they swear it helps reduce the incidence of stuck valves caused by lead deposits.

I use Exxon Elite 20W50 oil in my Cherokee and it has been working well for me, especially since I don't fly it as frequently as I used to, and Exxon claims it is formulated to help protect better against corrosion in engines that aren't flown frequently.

Last edited: