pazmanyflyer

Well Known Member
Hello,
Well after starting my condition inspection this weekend, we found that 3 of the 4 jugs are below 60/80 on the compression test. We have an 125 hp O-290-G on a conical mount and a fixed pitch prop. We would like to replace this engine with a 150 hp O-320-XXX. We're looking to keep this as simple as possible so we want to do a replacement without redoing the mount, cowling and baffles if possible. I am not an engine guy but I have done a little reading in the types of 320's out there, but there is entirely to much information for me to understand with out some direction from others that know a lot more than me.

Thank for your help!

Hello,
Well after starting my condition inspection this weekend, we found that 3 of the 4 jugs are below 60/80 on the compression test. We have an 125 hp O-290-G on a conical mount and a fixed pitch prop. We would like to replace this engine with a 150 hp O-320-XXX. We're looking to keep this as simple as possible so we want to do a replacement without redoing the mount, cowling and baffles if possible. I am not an engine guy but I have done a little reading in the types of 320's out there, but there is entirely to much information for me to understand with out some direction from others that know a lot more than me.

Thank for your help!

I don't know that it will work bolt hole to bolt hole, but the O-320A2B should work. It's a conical mount, O-320, 150hp.

O-320 A or C series (150HP) or B series (160HP) should do you.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided
responsibly and at your own risk."

Carlos, Look in the classifieds. The engine you need is on there right now. Hurry before it sells. Don

Carlos, Look in the classifieds. The engine you need is on there right now. Hurry before it sells. Don

Just saw that thank you. I'll inform dad and we'll look into it.

Does anyone know what the O-290 might go for? AP/AI says it needs top (cyl) overhaul. It's a good and smooth running engine.

Last edited:
Just saw that thank you. I'll inform dad and we'll look into it.

Does anyone know what the O-290 might go for? AP/AI says it needs top (cyl) overhaul. It's a good and smooth running engine.
Being a "G", the price is going to be less than say an O-290-D2. Parts are hard to come by these days, more so for the "G" than any of the others.

You will make more $$$ parting it out. The MA3 carb alone will go for around $500, more if you have the paper work on it.

BTW, ECI sells rings for this engine now, if all needs is a top OH, you might want to look into that.

Any idea which cylinders it has? 71831 (71832 Chrome) were used on the O-290-D and 71837 (71838 Chrome) were used on the -D2, D2B, & D2C. I'm not really sure which were used on the G.

Last edited:
Being a "G", the price is going to be less than say an O-290-D2. Parts are hard to come by these days, more so for the "G" than any of the others.

You will make more $$$ parting it out. The MA3 carb alone will go for around $500, more if you have the paper work on it.

BTW, ECI sells rings for this engine now, if all needs is a top OH, you might want to look into that.

Any idea which cylinders it has? 71831 (71832 Chrome) were used on the O-290-D and 71837 (71838 Chrome) were used on the -D2, D2B, & D2C. I'm not really sure which were used on the G.

Sorry I don't have that info in hand. Pops isn't looking to put the money into this one. It's a great excuse for pops to opt for a higher hp engine. That's his argument and he says he's sticking to it! I can't blame him. Who argues against MORE HORSEPOWER!!! :)