David_Nelson

Well Known Member
A couple of days ago, I asked about valid N-Numbers (ie 'What's wrong with 999AI'). I mentioned about a pet project I was working on and, specifically, it had to do with searching for possible N-Numbers that weren't yet active/reserved. I believe that some folks have been using spreadsheets to filter the available data which seems rather tedious and a lot of work. However, having not done the spreadsheet method, I could be wrong. I thought there had to be a better way and since I'm teaching myself Python, I thought I'd give it try. I've no idea if anybody has this available somewhere else or not; I did it to learn some new things.

So, if you are looking for an N-Number that begins with, contains, or ends with a particular sequence, this should do it. It's certainly nothing fancy, but I believe it'd be useful to others. If you run into problems or you have some suggestions, please let me know.

The FAA updates the data on a somewhat regular basis. Because of this delay, an entry may show as being available when, in fact, it's just been recently activated or reserved. For this reason, each returned entry is a link to the FAA's real-time search so that you can verify its availability and get the paperwork started ASAP. ;)

http://caura.homenet.org/cgi-bin/nsearch.cgi

Hope You Enjoy,

Last edited:
So, if you are looking for an N-Number that begins with, contains, or ends with a particular sequence, this should do it. It's certainly nothing fancy, but I believe it'd be useful to others. If you run into problems or you have some suggestions, please let me know.

Nicely done, David. I've used the spreadsheet method in the past, but this is more elegant. The FAA's online version doesn't permit searching for every available registration which ends with a certain two chars, so your version is useful even if just for that.

--
Stephen

Started playing around with this and found that the number I though I still had reserved for my 9A was back in the pool :eek:

Quickly jumped back on it. Not that it's particularly special or popular, but it's the one I want. Thanks for posting this tool, David. If not for you, I might have missed out on the number I thought I'd already reserved!

Slight issue...it only shows those numbers with 3 leading numbers.

For example, I chose to search for N numbers ending with TS (my initials). It showed me every available number that was "###TS". But it did not show me the three numbers which are "##TS".

Woohoo!

I'm glad to see that it's proving useful!

Hi Phlyan Pan - It seems to be working correctly as '38TS', '61TS' and '68TS' are reported as being available. The sorting could use some work; I'll give that some thought and see what develops.

Regards,

Thanks David! I used to use the one on Mike Bullock's build page (that's how I found the one I have reserved now), but it no longer works. It's interesting to occasionally go through and see what's available.:cool: Hmmm... 216 available numbers ending in RV...

I'm glad to see that it's proving useful!

Hi Phlyan Pan - It seems to be working correctly as '38TS', '61TS' and '68TS' are reported as being available. The sorting could use some work; I'll give that some thought and see what develops.

Regards,

You're right....it worked this time. I swear last time I went through the whole darned list and didn't see them.

Fixed the sort order

I found the relevant bits to fix the sorting. Results are sorted by length followed by binary (kinda alphanumerical). Let me know if this seems a reasonable solution.

Number of returned entries: 458

46PH
69PH
74PH
80PH
86PH
175PH
176PH
178PH
.​

Darwin - I'll do better in the future. :D

Well Done!

Slick, Elegant tool

Let's see..... I can build a 3, 6, 7 & 8 N134CR, N164CR, N174CR, N184CR to compliment N194CR

How is this different from the FAA n-numbers inquiry application?

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNAV_Inquiry.aspx

Hi James,

The FAA's DB doesn't allow you to do substring searches/matches. It's also a one-at-a-time submission while you are left trying to think of possible combinations to try out.

Are you querying their system live? Or do you have the the static database?

I think there are some interesting ways this data could be leveraged. I'll send you a PM with a few ideas.

I d/l the FAA's data and then massage a bit with a backend SQL database. Other than the data (re)loading and manipulation, it's pretty much static.

I liked your ideas. Depending on where this "pet project" goes in the long term, I think they are interesting and could be further developed.

Regards,

It ain't all that simple....

I reserved and paid for a number on line via the FAA web site on December 10, 2011. The number still has not been assigned to me (or anyone else). I called the FAA Registration Branch in Oklahoma today and asked how come. Here is the deal.

Just because you select a number and register it on line, you do not own it until the FAA gets around to processing the registration data submitted on line. As of today, they are processing data received on December 7, 2011. If your request came in before any other requests for that number and the number is unassigned, you get it. If not, they send you a refund and you get to do it all over again.

Selecting a number that is unassigned is not yours, whether it be directly with the FAA or via another route like this program, until the FAA gets around to finalizing the deal and that could take up to 6 weeks.

Last edited:
I reserved and paid for a number on line via the FAA web site on December 10, 2012. The number still has not been assigned to me (or anyone else). I called the FAA Registration Branch in Oklahoma today and asked how come. Here is the deal.

Just because you select a number and register it on line, you do not own it until the FAA gets around to processing the registration data submitted on line. As of today, they are processing data received on December 7, 2012. If your request came in before any other requests for that number and the number is unassigned, you get it. If not, they send you a refund and you get to do it all over again.

Selecting a number that is unassigned is not yours, whether it be directly with the FAA or via another route like this program, until the FAA gets around to finalizing the deal and that could take up to 6 weeks.

We had the same experience last year when someone alerted us to a VERY COOL N-number that was appropriate to our new airplane. I jumed on the FAA site in less than half a minute and put in the reservation. Credit card wsa charged within the hour. Two months later, we were informed that we didn't get it, and a month after that, we got the refund....

I reserved and paid for a number on line via the FAA web site on December 10, 2011. The number still has not been assigned to me (or anyone else). I called the FAA Registration Branch in Oklahoma today and asked how come. Here is the deal.

Just because you select a number and register it on line, you do not own it until the FAA gets around to processing the registration data submitted on line. As of today, they are processing data received on December 7, 2011. If your request came in before any other requests for that number and the number is unassigned, you get it. If not, they send you a refund and you get to do it all over again.

Hi David - Thanks for your insight. I've added this to the notes.

Deregistered Aircraft - Why can't you register/reserve them?

I just noticed that one can't register/reserve a "deregistered" aircraft. Why is that?

Take for example N56123. It used to be a Piper PA-36-285 then a Beech A36. But there doesn't seem to an entry field to say, "I'd like to register/reserve this n-number."

I just noticed that one can't register/reserve a "deregistered" aircraft. Why is that?

Take for example N56123. It used to be a Piper PA-36-285 then a Beech A36. But there doesn't seem to an entry field to say, "I'd like to register/reserve this n-number."

The Beech had the number first, and then it went to Japan.

The data for the Piper seems to say in effect "we have lost track of it"...:)

I have also noticed that a lot of the short numbers have come back on-line, perhaps as a product of the data clean-up/re-registration effort going on.

A couple of years ago there were only 3 numbers available in the N1GA to N99GA range - now there are 14 listed.

If you couldn't find the short number you wanted a few years ago, try again.

Last edited:
The data for the Piper seems to say in effect "we have lost track of it"...:)

Hi Gil,

Ok, I see and understand that (funny as it may seem).

Anybody - Do the deregistered's ever return to the pool? I mean, N123Y was cancelled and others either exported or destroyed. Seems obvious what happened to them.

I know, I know - I'm trying to make sense of the FAA. I should just sit back, drink my coffee, and relax. :)

Hi Gil,

Ok, I see and understand that (funny as it may seem).

Anybody - Do the deregistered's ever return to the pool? I mean, N123Y was cancelled and others either exported or destroyed. Seems obvious what happened to them.

I know, I know - I'm trying to make sense of the FAA. I should just sit back, drink my coffee, and relax. :)

Dave, Yes the numbers can come back. I landed a short one (N5EY) last year that came from an airplane deregistered.

If you use the N-Number availability page it shows N56123 is available to register.

As I understand it, once it has been deregistered/revoked/unassigned, it takes 3-5 years and then the FAA releases it again.

They want to give the prior registration time to re-register if able in the time frame before giving it up.

With the new registration renewals, any number cancelled this year should be up for grabs in 3-5.

I tried to get a number that belonged to a plane that no one, even the owner's daughter (because the owner is deceased), knew what happened to it. In those cases, they stay active a little longer.

My wife knows how to pick them...she picked a deregistered number again last night, but it shows available, so I am going to try and reserve it and see if it works.

Great tool by the way! Made finding this one a breeze.

If you use the N-Number availability page it shows N56123 is available to register.

As I understand it, once it has been deregistered/revoked/unassigned, it takes 3-5 years and then the FAA releases it again.

They want to give the prior registration time to re-register if able in the time frame before giving it up.

I seems that the number becomes available much sooner if the aircraft is exported. Looking at the two aircraft that previously had the N16GA I reserved there appears to be no 3-5 year delays.

I think the delay is in the "revoked" registration numbers...:)

New and improved ...

Ok, maybe not so 'new', but definitely 'improved'.

After spending Sunday working on the wheel pants on the -7A, I got a chance to sit down this evening and refine things a bit on the search utility. Namely, search results will show if an N-Number has been deregistered. If it has, a little more work needs to be done to determine if it's really available. This is expanded upon in the 'Notes' section of the web page.

Spot checking some results indicates that things are working much better. As usual, if you find a corner case that doesn't seem to work correctly or an area of improvement, let me know and I'll see if I can correct it.

Enjoy,

Thank You

I miss the old 'RVPlaneNnumberfinder' and I THANK YOU for sharing this. It prompted me to check on a few numbers that are keen to me. I sent in requests a couple weeks ago and as of today I have:

N-52RG - 1 of 2 shortest available with RG (Rick Gray)

N-98RG - 2 of 2 shortest available with RG (Rick Gray)

N-4UP - It's Short and Sweet.....and I thought it would be a great fit for an RV4 or an RV10 (being a '4' seater). Most everyone likes the 'UP' numbers and it's typically hard to get a single digit 'UP' number. With the proper font and 'execution/layout' N4UP might look pretty cool on an RV :D.

Having built a number of RV's & Rockets, and hoping to build a few more :rolleyes:, I think these numbers will come in handy!

So, again...thanks for the 'N' number search engine (is that what you call it?) and thanks also for the prompting.

Side Bar - WONDERFUL therapy to keep my mind on something else while healing and getting better, I am so happy :):):):)!!!

Updated version of FAA N-Number Availability search utility

Hi All,

With a new server, a new OS, and a new DNS provider under the belt, I also updated my FAA N-Number Availability search utility. In addition to searching for beginning, middle, and ending character(s), you can now list potentially available two to four character N-Numbers.

If you're in the market or just want to window shop for an N-Number, give it a look:

http://caura.homenet.org/cgi-bin/nsearch.cgi

If you encounter any bugs, please let me know.

Enjoy,
/\/elson

David, what an awesome contribution to our community. I just grabbed a number that I really love for my Berkut project. Would never have found it without this tool. Thank you!

5YV

Thanks for the work! Snagged one. Not what I wanted but it's short.
Should have kept my old one but when I deregistered my Cessna (tornado) someone grabbed it.

you can burn up some more time looking for inverted numbers that spell things. my wife liked that I "named" my plane after her. kevin N3773