sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have to put in a factory order, so I've decided to try and buy my throttle cable also. I did not buy the FF kit. So, on a fuel-injected -9A (with the throttle firewall hole cut in the FI position per plans), but going with a center console and throttle quadrant... which throttle cable length should I get?

Anyone else in a 6/7/9 with a center console and throttle (the Aircraft Extras one with the DJM quadrant maybe?), what length did you use?

Thanks!

Go down to your hardware store and buy 6-8 feet or so of clear vinyl tubing. It's cheap and easy to use the tubing to get the overall lengths of the control cables (and any hoses you might need fabricated). This takes all of the guess work out of the decision. Whatever you measure, make it just a bit longer. Better to be an inch too long than an inch too short!

Sorry Bruce, that makes too much sense. :eek: Yeah, I'll just go back to my twine string. Just was wondering whether those of us who do the center quadrant in the armrest still use a standard length, or if we have to go with a custom length cable.

I used an extension from ACS so a standard length could be used. After all, this cable will probably have to be replaced every so often and the standard lengths are quicker to get and much cheaper!

I had to make a custom throttle cable bracket for the sump, then moved the EFII TB to full open for that measurement to the firewall, I went through the firewall recess to move the cables up higher away form the exhaust, worked out great!

Mike,

Out of curiosity, which extension from ACS are you referring to? Not sure what I'm searching for there. The usual "throttle extension", "cable extension", etc searches didn't show anything that looked like a thread-on extension or such.

I also used the Vans location for firewall pass through, and was able to use a standard length throttle cable from Vans. What length specifically? will have to dig in my archives to find that out. My problem was with routing the mixture cable, though it appears you won't need to worry with EFII.