I like the WAXed Nylon. Some guys like the Polyester. They do not cost that much so you may want to buy one of each to see what you like.

The knot is in AC43-13. I do not like the continous but I do like using it as Spot Tie. A "half-hitch" knot with a square knot on the end. If you use the Waxed, hit it with a heat gun to set the wax to prevent it from coming appart after it is tied.

Some guys do not like the waxed as they say it attracts dirt. No problem on my end with 1,892 hours over the past almost 9 years. You still need some nylon tie straps. I used lacing to hold my harness together but used the tie wraps to fasten the wire bundle to the airplane. I also typically use tie wraps for rework if it is necessary.

I do the same but no heat

This is the way we did it on the F-101 when I went to work for McDonnell Aircraft. I have never ever seen a waxed nylon string tie come loose when the slip knot secured by a square knot method is used. Each tie is independent of any other and you can work our a fine looking wire harness even when you are building up your systems with some wires that you have to "fold in". We used to have a general rule to cut off the older ties (a pair of dikes on the knot is all it takes) after the third addition to the bundle. It keeps it looking neater. Usually when you are working with wiring tasks your hands are fairly clean and getting the string dirty is not a problem. The wax seems to help hold formed shapes when you are having to work loops around awkwardly accessible wire bundles and it holds its place for you as you work the square knot. It is so good to work with and the results are so good that sometimes it is a mentally therapeutic process after getting everything routed and hooked up.

Bob Axsom

Knots To You

randylervold said:
In wiring my current project I'd like to use the traditional method of lacing tape to constrain wire runs -- I think it looks "aviationlike". I recall the knots being in AC-43.14, correct? Also, Spruce has three different lacing tapes: Koroseal, Breyden polyester, and Breyden nylon. Which is the preferred and why?
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/catalog/Cat06420.pdf

Thanks!
Hey Randy,

I made extensive use of lacing tape on my RV but really can't say what specific material my stock is. I do note that it has a somewhat sticky quality that enhances its ability to hold fast. I too prefer its "aviationlike" look. Wire bundles in military aircraft make much use of lacing tape as a matter of routine practice. The material is far lighter and way less bulky than tie wraps too. The procedure, as explained to me by the guys who made it seem so effortless on the shop floor was to first make a clove hitch and follow that up with a square knot. Snip the ends off with a bit of a "tail" left to complete the work. I found when I was ready to work with lacing tape, AC-43 did spell it out but was a bit difficult for me to really understand how to tie proper knots. I did a Google search and discovered that Boy Scout and nautically minded websites are out there that show how to do the knots in slow motion animation. You can replay the animations over and over again until the process "sinks in." Done properly, those knots will never work loose! Good luck.

Last edited: