rv72004

Well Known Member
Sounds like a crazy question, but when comparing a 7 to a 8, a tip up to a slider and a TD to a trike , it makes some sense. I was recently helping a friend with a slider do some panel wiring. What a pain. His is a trike so sits level. Now mine is a td with a tip up. If you lie inside and under the panel it is considerably more comfortable as blood goes to your feet.

A 7 TD has the gear on the engine mount. A 8 has those much talked about gear boxes. A tip up is less work. etc etc

Basically we had a discussion the other day and I felt a 7 TD with a tip up is the easiest to build. Some guys seem to think its all much of the same.

For those who have built several models and configurations, what do you say ?

RE:Depends

Hi EJ

It depends.........what? Ya it depends. Each have there challenges. So decide on your and challenge go for it!!!!!!!!;)

I think the more important question is which one is the most enjoyable to build.......I would say any RV you choose.:D

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... to the airport soooooooooooooooon!!!!

I have built the trikes and the TW the slider and the tip-up. All of them are hard to build or easy to build depending on your level of understanding and experience. Each model presents it's own challenges and frustrations none harder then the other. Build what you want for the mission that you want to fly not on what is easier to do.

The Challenging Parts!

I am building a 6 td. and have been doing so for quite a while.

When people ask me how its going, my answer is always "I'm Making Progress"

I have all of the major aluminum structure built except for the fuselage.
I am painting those parts one at a time and boy am I getting excited!

There are always challenges, and the more complex mentally or physically they are, the more you feel great having accomplished each one of them.

For me the Tanks were the easiest to understand, how they are assembled and sealed all made sense. I have worked as an A&P and IA, and have repaired many tanks like them, but...... I had not built tanks from just materials, it was a long suffering messy, stinky and sticky process with some time limitations.

When I was done, I waited a few months and pressure tested them knowing that a leak even a small one could mean more goo, rivets and temptation to verbally express myself inappropriately.

I manometer tested each one for 2 full days, they only fluctuated with the temperature change in my Garage-mahal (Big Garage) and had no indication of any flaws.

After the test I had a bigger sense of accomplishment than when I drove the last rivet it the last tank. It felt good knowing that task was fully accomplished.

Build the plane you want to have your RV-Grin photo taken in, even if it ends up looking like a shopping cart, it will be your accomplishment and you can be proud of it!

BTW-With your concern for quality, it will not look like a shopping cart:cool: