N788RV

I'm about done wiring up my avionics and ready to hang the engine and am starting to think about ordering a headset. My buddy flies his RV-8 with a light speed headset and when I'm in the back it tends to fall off when pulling G's. I've always had a helment before (military). I'm considering ordering a light weight headset like the Halo but have never used one before. After reading some of the other posts I'm really tempted. I do know that I don't like to were the little yellow ear plugs you roll up and stick in your ears. Anybody have some advice?

N788RV said:
After reading some of the other posts I'm really tempted. I do know that I don't like to were the little yellow ear plugs you roll up and stick in your ears. Anybody have some advice?

I was ambivalent about the lightweight earplugs until I got a good set of custom earmolds. Now they are my favorite headset, especially in the summer. On hot, sunny days it's nice to not have the bulky headset, and I can wear any hat I want.

I'm using the quiet technologies headset, and have sent it back to have the mic gain tweaked so that it works well in my RV-8. Customer service has been exemplary.

Pulling "g" is not a problem at all, although I never intentionally put more than 4 g on the airplane. Solo, it will loop fine at 2.7-3.0. I have trouble looping the airplane with a regular headset unless I hold it with my left hand.

The only downsides are that they take a couple of seconds to properly insert, and they are somewhat awkward to "hang" in the airplane if you leave them plugged in like I do. They don't interfere with my nasal O2 cannula.

Stereo music sounds pretty good to me, although I may not be as picky as some.

Last edited:
Get the best

I have tried them all and IF you want the best, pay the price and get the Clarity Aloft set. Once you try them you will NOT go back to ANY headset.

Frank Thorman
9A QB O-320
240+hrs flying and still have the RV grin

N788RV said:
James which model headset is that?

It's the quiet technologies headset, although they seem to have abandoned the model I'm using in favor of the Halo.

Customer service has been excellent. It took a couple of tweaks (custom earmolds and change in mic gain) to get the headset optimized for my RV, but I'm very happy with the result.

clarity aloft v halo

Frank N821BF said:
I have tried them all and IF you want the best, pay the price and get the Clarity Aloft set. Once you try them you will NOT go back to ANY headset.

Frank,

I am interested in a comparison between the calrity aloft and QT halo headsets. Have you tried them both? Do you think the clarity aloft is worth the $200 difference?

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks guys, I'm really tempted. Not sure which one yet. I never liked wearing the foam earplugs for hearing protection. But it wasn't that they were uncomfortable. I was just too lazy. I do like the idea of light weight and not having to do loops with my left hand on my head. Any recommendations for a back seat/standby headset. I don't think my passengers want to stick something in there ear that the last guy had in his. I'm almost done ordering parts and really really poor now. (Making it the way I want it the first time, hiding the smoke system from the wife). I thought about a lightspeed 15 XL.

Macarooni and Cheese 2 Years Straight=Losts of Glass and Smoke, may have to give up the cheese to get inverted!

Clarity

Tony,

I have the Clarity and love them. I will be buying a second set for the other seat soon. I compared them with the Halo and didn't like the earpiece on the Halo. I prefer just the earplugs of the Clarity. The sound quality is excellent.

I noted this on other posts but they are extremely comfortable. I've gotten out of the plane several times with the headset still on. In the scheme of things the $200 difference is a non issue. I could not go back to a conventional headset and love the Clarity. The other thing is the excellent service from the Clarity folks. Great to deal with.

Frank,

I am interested in a comparison between the calrity aloft and QT halo headsets. Have you tried them both? Do you think the clarity aloft is worth the $200 difference?

Thanks,

Tony[/QUOTE]

Jack Bauer wears HeadsetX

This is a bit off topic, but I was watching an episode of "24" the other night and noticed that Jack Bauer and the helicopter pilot were both wearing Headset X.