kentb

Well Known Member
OK not for my airplane, but for the car.
On long car trips I have been pulling my 496 out of the plane and putting it in the car. (noticed how I made this relate to my RV). I don't want to go though the trouble any more and thought about buying the Nuvi.
Looking at the manual on line, I can't see anyway to display the altitude. I know that I don't have pitch control in my car, but I just like to know how high I am.
Am I missing something, or should I be looking at a different GPS for my car?

Kent

Hi Kent..

...I bought my wife a Nuvi for Christmas and she loved it. She then gave that to her son and bought a more expensive one that she can upload audio books to. Neither one gives altitude.

Regards,

I had a Magellan which could be set to display altitude. However, I switched to a Tom Tom and I think it is as good, if not better, than any other portable GPS out there. I don't know if I can make it display the altitude (I think it can), but it is set up to display direction in degrees, and I downloaded the voice of an air traffic controller for the voice prompts. Now instead of, "Turn right and you have reached your destination," I hear, "Turn right when able and taxi to parking."

:(I've had bad luck with a Nuvi 360. I have or have had 7 Garmin GPS's, and this is the only one I have had trouble with. Bluetooth quit, and the audio is poor.

Bill, mine works great too....

My 496 works great in the car! Heck, it even has weather. :p

But I am always worrying about someone stealing it. At $2600.00 I have a lot of concerns. But if I only had $200.00 setting in the car, I wouldn't need to worry so much.:)

Kent

I recently got an iPhone issued to me at work (never out of touch...or off duty...), and this thing works GREAT as a moving map - as long as you have cell coverage to download the maps that is. Of course, unless you're off-roading, if you're on a road these days, you probably have cell coverage....

But I am always worrying about someone stealing it. At $2600.00 I have a lot of concerns. But if I only had $200.00 setting in the car, I wouldn't need to worry so much.:)

Kent

Kent,

I know what you are talking about. That's why it is always out of sight when I leave my truck. However, the real advantage is that I can use it at my destination when traveling with the plane.

snip

... I downloaded the voice of an air traffic controller for the voice prompts. Now instead of, "Turn right and you have reached your destination," I hear, "Turn right when able and taxi to parking."

Where did you get the download from? I have TomTom too and would like to do the same.

YES you can!

You can get altitude on the Nuvi, just not on the map screen. From the main "Where To" screen just touch and hold for a few seconds the Satellite signal strength meter in the upper left corner. The satellite geometry page will appear with speed, Elevation and signal strength of each satellite in view.

I have a mount for my Nuvi that I keep on my instruement panel. It is great for passengers to see where they are and when I arrive at my location, I can use it for ground navigation. If your rental car agency rents Suzukis, they have a built in Nuvi mount on the dash.

2009_suzuki_sx4_nav-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Bought my wife a Nuvi 3 years ago - she still tells people it's the best gift anyone ever gave her. She digs the Australian accent, and makes fun of the fact that "Dr." is always pronounced "Dok-tor" instead of "Drive."

:D

I recently got an iPhone issued to me at work (never out of touch...or off duty...), and this thing works GREAT as a moving map - as long as you have cell coverage to download the maps that is. Of course, unless you're off-roading, if you're on a road these days, you probably have cell coverage....
NASA issues iPhones??? Very interesting.

In any case, allow me to recommend MotionX GPS Drive to you and anybody else with an iPhone. It's only $2.99 initially and requires a $2.99 monthly subscription fee which is waived the first month. The function set is limited without the monthly fee but the app will still work.

Amazingly powerful program. Garmin, Magellan, and TomTom should be worried.:eek:

http://www.motionx.com/

BTW this company was started by Philip Kahn who founded Borland, FWTW.

Yes, I'm an aviation geek...

Where did you get the download from? I have TomTom too and would like to do the same.
Vlad,
You can download the voices through the TomTom update software. Of course, the software is on my computer at home, so I have no way to verify if this information is accurate. However, if you have the software installed on your computer, it will open up automatically when you plug your TomTom in via the USB. Somewhere in the upgrade section of the software, there is a link to downloading voices. If you search through the voices, you will find the ATC one. Best part...IT'S FREE! Send me a PM or email if you can't find it.

Nuvi 1200/1300/1400 series

The manual for the nuvi 1200/1300/1400 series allow the user to select an arbitrary item for the lower left field of the map screen; elevation is one of the allowable options. See the video review of the 1390 on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVmJQXvy5nE&feature=related to see an illustration of changing that field. The video also shows changing the layout of the map screen to have four fields instead of the standard two (on the 1300/1400).

Last edited:
I bought a Nuvi for the car. Way more convenient than taking the 496.
I bought the cheapest one I could find. Works great. The Geek in me
loves to see miles to destination and arrival time. Did take in the RV
so Max speed shows 212 mph. Love to show my passangers how fast
my 4Runner is ;)

cbadie
When do your posts cross the line between answering questions and advertising without your company paying DR to advertise on his site as Garmin do?