McFly

Well Known Member
I am in the market for a new GPS to replace my Lowrance 2000?.still

One of the features I really liked about the Lowrance was called ?runway guidance?. When used it would draw a localizer like feather or extended centerline for the selected runway, regardless if the runway had a published approach or not.

Do any of the other large ?handhelds? have this feature? As best I can tell the Garmin 695 does not nor does the AvMap. Thanks.

The 696 has it.... but I am still waiting for runway numbers like the 496 and the G3X have :(

iFly has extended runway

For those airports where end of runway is at known lat/lon, it displays a long thin arrow with tip at end of selected runway and extended out on centerline of selected runway.

(for owners: click on an airport,.. options, other options, show extended runway, select runway) it then displays the arrow, which looks like an surveyors arrow, and it has the runway number displayed in large font

If endpoint is not known,.. it points to center of airport.

Extended Runway Centerlines

Hugh,

All of the current Garmin portables have extended runway centerline support.

Here is an image from an Aera 796 which provides extended runway centerline labeling like the G3X.

Aera796ExtendedRunways.jpg

I prefer this implementation over the feature you described which seems to require that you select the runway you are going to use.

It is not that uncommon for the tower to change runways on you at the last minute, and this feature clearly labels all runways all the time so you never have to interact with the unit regardless of which runway is in use.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks

Exactly what I was looking for guys....Thanks.

you never have to interact with the unit regardless of which runway is in use

Good point Steve.

I downloaded the 695 manual but do not see this feature anywhere. Can someone please confirm that the 695 has this feature? Thanks again.

Hugh

Exactly what I was looking for guys....Thanks.

Good point Steve.

I downloaded the 695 manual but do not see this feature anywhere. Can someone please confirm that the 695 has this feature? Thanks again.

Hugh
The 695 is identical to the 696 with the exception that it cannot display weather. Outside of that they are the same GPS. Even though a couple of other posters have stated the 696 has this functionality, I will go ahead and give my input. I do have the 695 and can verify that it also has this functionality. I do not have any screen shots of my 695 but I will say it is the "feathered arrow" type of display that extends outward from the end of the runway. This is different than the example of the Aera796 Steve is showing above, never the less, it still does show the extended runway.

Extended Runway Centerlines for Garmin 695/696

The currently released V4.80 software for the GPSMAP 695/696 has extended runway centerline support, but does not have the extended runway centerline labeling like shown in other postings for G3X and Aera 796.

We are testing V4.90 now and expect to release it very soon. V4.90 WILL HAVE extended runway centerline labeling like the image shown below taken from a 696 running V4.90.

Once you fly with this feature, you will wonder how you ever got by without it! :)

I will post an update here when it is released and available for download.

Thanks for your patience and support,
Steve

RunwayCenterlineLabeling696.jpg

v4.9

The currently released V4.80 software for the GPSMAP 695/696 has extended runway centerline support, but does not have the extended runway centerline labeling like shown in other postings for G3X and Aera 796.

We are testing V4.90 now and expect to release it very soon. V4.90 WILL HAVE extended runway centerline labeling like the image shown below taken from a 696 running V4.90.

Once you fly with this feature, you will wonder how you ever got by without it! :)

Thanks for your patience and support,
Steve

RunwayCenterlineLabeling696.jpg

What other features or fixes will be in v4.9?

Are there any plans to put it on the x96 and 500 series?
MRT890,

We are fairly confident this feature will make it into a future software update for the Aera 5XX. Given the interest here, we will also give it consideration for inclusion in a GPSMAP X96 update.

What other features or fixes will be in v4.90?
Steve,

Good question. We will post a complete list of all the changes soon.

For those of you that like to use the screen capture (to SD card) function, we will give you a heads up that this is moving from "push and hold the joystick" to "push and hold the MENU key" similar to what was reported in an earlier post for G3X updates. Don't worry about remembering this though, since the setup screen that allows you to enable the screenshot will remind you of this new key sequence to capture the screenshot.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

I loved this feature on an old palm based GPS I had (Anywhere Map). Unfortunately my MGL Voyager that cost 10 times as much does not have this feature :-(. Don't get me wrong I live the Voyager, but this seems like a pretty easy feature to add... I wonder why it was left out?

Aircraft Symbols on Moving Map

It would be nice to have a selection of plane silhouettes. Minor but still nice

Ron,

The Garmin units support a number of aircraft symbol choices including high wing, low wing, multi-engine, jet and even helicopter.

Perhaps you like the low wing symbol better than the jet?

Steve

ExtRwyCenterlinesLowWing.jpg

GPSMAP 695/696 V4.90 Software Available

The GPSMAP 695/696 software V4.90 which supports the new extended runway centerline labeling discussed above is now available for download from the Garmin website. You can either plug your 695/696 into your computer and use the WebUpdater to update over USB or load the software onto an SD card and take it to the 695/696 - your choice.

Update 3/12/12 01:13 PM - The previously reported website link issue that was preventing download of the SD card image has been resolved. Please let us know at the contact information below if you have any problems installing the update.

Changes made from version 4.80 to 4.90:
-Added configurable data fields to display current climb gradient in percent or altitude gain per nautical mile.
-Added runway number labels to runway extension lines on map.
-Added Map Setup page items for adjusting visibility of water labels, park and land cover areas, runway numbers, and runway extension lines.
-Added separate control for speed and distance units. For example, you can choose MPH for speed and NM for distance instead of having to use knots for speed just because you needed to use NM for distance.
-Added custom waypoint symbols support.
-Changed screenshot utility to be activated when Menu key is pressed and held.
-Changed XTK data fields display to more closely resemble G3X presentation.
-General improvements to system operation.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Extended Runway Centerline Labeling for Aera 5XX

Steve,
Will you be adding this to the Aera series anytime soon?

Paul,

As mentioned and shown in post #9 of this thread, this feature is already available for the Aera 7XX products.

You are probably referring to the Aera 5XX products. We don't have a date yet, but plan to add it to the next software release for that product.

I have an Aera 560 mounted to the panel in my experimental aircraft, so I am looking out for us more space and weight conscious Aera 5XX users. :)

Thanks,
Steve

5XX

Thanks, Steve. I should have been more specific with my question as I too am "space" (cost) conscious!!! ;)

I'll be looking for the update!