Capflyer

Well Known Member
Vans sells two different gascolators. Can anyone comment on the differences. It's time for me to order one and it is hard to tell what the differences are other than looks.

Can't speak to the technical differences, but I was told if you use the Airflow performance fuel pump, you have to use the Andair gascolator. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I was told.

Like all Andair products, it looks very nice but is costly. ($155 USD)

One advantage to the Van's gascolator ($76 USD) is that you can have the fuel exit either left or right, which allows you to mount your fuel flow sensor above it like done here.

The Van's gascolator is also of good quality but it is held together with four screws that should be safety wired. I imagine removing those screws during the condition inspection will be a pain.

I installed an Andair gascolator mainly because I wanted one last place to catch contaminants and water. I mounted it in the typical lower left corner of the firewall. Didn't really need it because I'm running fuel injection and have the Airflow performance filter upstream of the Airflow performance electric pump. I have found very little junk in the gascolator in the last 3 years and no water.

One thing that I have noticed is that I can't sump fuel from the gascolator. I think this is because of the low wing config. and no head pressure.

Anyway, I would re-think installing a gascolator if I was doing it again but still like having the extra filter and water trap.

Yup, people that know and have been there tell me that we who are using the AFP system do not need a gascolator at all. Personally, I'm not.

Do your own research and see if you agree... or not.

Mike:

Should you decide to use the Van's gascolator (I don't recommend it with an IO) I have one available along with the VA-161 gascolator bracket. I'll sell for the Van's price.

Why do I have them? I went with Mattituck IO (vertical sump) and needed the O-360 FWF which came with them.

Jekyll

Capflyer said:
Vans sells two different gascolators. Can anyone comment on the differences. It's time for me to order one and it is hard to tell what the differences are other than looks.
Just re-read your post and getting back to your question.

Van's had two almost identical gascolators, one with the exit on the left and the other on the right. One was for the RV-8 and the other was for the -7 & 9. They changed the gascolator to have two exits and you plug the exit you don't use.

For those of you who haven't purchased the Van's gascolator, the fuel line feeds it through the firewall.

Low spot for draining fuel

Bob Collins said:
Cool. So wheere's the low spot in the system where you drain out the water in pre-flight?
On a tail dragger, it will be the fuel tank drains.

rv80bk.gif

Hmmm....I'm afraid to ask but what about on a nosewheel? (ducking to avoid the usual nosewheel v. taildragger debate).

One of the reasons I thought I'd put a gascolator in is it seemed to me that it's possible to have water settle in the line past the tanks. But maybe I'm mistaken.

I am flying a friend's RV-4 right now. It has a gascolator. If you select the right or left tank and drain the gascolater, not much comes out. However, if you select the right or left tank and turn on the fuel pump and the Master Switch, all kinds of fuel comes out! That is how we drain the sump, under pressure.

In the air, the gascolator is the low point. If you wanted to have the gascolator being the low point in your fuel system while in the hangar, build an appropriate size bench with chocks fastened to the "seat" of the bench. Now, chock the mains, and lift the tailwheel up onto the bench and the gascolator will now be the low spot in the fuel system. The bench is handy for cleaning the belly too.
Cheers, Pete

None

I have fuel filters for each tank and no gascolator. I followed a long thread here several years ago before making that decision. It has worked out very well.

Bob Axsom

I can't sump my Andair with cowl on but I unscrewed the cup the other day at oilchange.

Nothing in filter, couldn't see any water because I poured it out, but found some alum shavings (like reamed fuel line material sitting on the bottom of the can .)

Sure is a nice way to pop the cup, and it locks into place prior to screwing it tight.

FWIW
IO-360 parallel
82hrs.

Thinking of ditching gascolator

I have fuel filters for each tank and no gascolator. I followed a long thread here several years ago before making that decision. It has worked out very well.

Bob Axsom

I would like to remove my gascolator. It's been clean since Phase 1 and it seems like there is always a haze of fuel dye on it. Mostly when engine is ice cold in the winter.

Bob, could you please share your details and how tos? Will the same fuel hose fit? I don't have plans before me what kind of fittings did you use? 90 degrees or 45? I incorporated a couple of your ideas in my RV, parts are still holding strong and solid after 400 hours.

Hmmm....I'm afraid to ask but what about on a nosewheel? (ducking to avoid the usual nosewheel v. taildragger debate).

One of the reasons I thought I'd put a gascolator in is it seemed to me that it's possible to have water settle in the line past the tanks. But maybe I'm mistaken.

You don't need a gascolator with an injected engine, as there is no bowl for the water to settle into (as there is with a carburetor on a carbureted engine). Any water will simply be passed right on through by one (or both) of the fuel pumps.

That's one reason why no gascolator on an injected engine, anyway...

Well you could argue..what if you get a plug of ice...But then the ice would be in the fuel tank anyway. Even if there was ice it is unlikely to ever be a big enough chunk to plug a fuel line. I mean it would not get past the finger screen or into the flop tube holes.

The real reason you might need a gascolator is because the surface tension of the water could in theory prevent the water from being suck up through the main jet..i.e efectively cutting the flow off to the engine.

In a FI'd motor this is a non issue because the fuel is pumped into the engine..not sucked in as in a carb.

Frank