shiney

Well Known Member
I'm getting near to the point where I will need a flare tool, any recommendations on which one to purchase, type, hints, tips etc.

Thanks

Martin

Home Depot plumbing department has one. No leaks. Easy to get and pretty simple to use. But the other one looks more professional.

TSwezey said:
Home Depot plumbing department has one. No leaks. Easy to get and pretty simple to use. But the other one looks more professional.

Be sure to get a 37 degree flare tool. I don't know about home plumbing, but automotive flare tools are 45 degrees. I have the parker flare tool as pictured above. Expensive, but works well.

TSwezey said:

I've never seen anything but 45 degree tools in Depot. What brand did you buy?

TSwezey said:
I wasn't aware that Home Depot carried a 37 degree flaring tool. DO NOT USE A 45 DEGREE TOOL! It may not leak now, but it's days are numbered. It will not "seat" properly with an AN fitting.

Rol-Air also good

I used a borrowed Rolo-flare for most of the flares that I've done so far. When I bought one, I opt'd for the little more expensive Rol-Air Flaring tool. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flaringtools3.php Comparing the two, the Rol-Air is a little easier to use in tight spots. The big advantage I found is the ability to move the die to check the flare without removing the tube from the clamp block.