TCONROY

Well Known Member
We are taking delivery of our RV-7 QB Fuse at the end of this month and I'm thinking ahead for the FWF. What is the difference between the Van's supplied exhaust and the Vetterman I've heard so much about? I've tried finding threads that explain the differences, advantages/disadvantages, but haven't had any luck. Anyone that can shed some light on this after-market accessory would be very much appreciated.

The Van's supplied exhaust is a Vetterman. The Vetterman exhaust is a very nice piece of work.

the same

Well, the truth is Vetterman supplies the exhausts for Vans. So there is not going to be any difference apples to apples. Of course there are many different designs that Vetterman builds so you may find you wish to purchase from Vetterman a different exhaust design than is supplied in the stock kit but they are still built by the same guy.

Did you do QB wings? Are you one of the few that did SB wings and QB fuse? if so did you use your SB spar center section?

Go with Larry's 4 pipes.

They crackle very nicely, a friend reports, and mine do not leave any stain on the fuselage bottom. :)

We did the SB Wings and QB Fuse. Van's tooling is good enough now where they do not need to send our center section to the Philippines to have a fuse built around it. We did return the center section to Van's though when we placed the order.

In my case I wanted dual mufflers and heat muffs so I will order them direct from Larry since Van's doesn't sell that version.

One more comment...

The Vetterman exhaust is one of the best designed - and fabricated - pieces on the entire airplane. Fits absolutely perfectly right out of the box. Very impressive, when you see all the funny bends and twists and turns the pipes have to make to escape the engine confines.

Larry

The Vetterman exhaust is one of the best designed - and fabricated - pieces on the entire airplane. Fits absolutely perfectly right out of the box. Very impressive, when you see all the funny bends and twists and turns the pipes have to make to escape the engine confines.
And on top of that Larry is an extremely nice and helpful guy, who will cheerfully explain any of the details of his exhaust systems and how they will work with various engine configurations to any random potential customer that calls him.