MS19087

Well Known Member
Van's supplies Vibration Isolation Products engine mounts - I've read that these may not hold up so well. Is there overwhelming evidence to this claim? If so, how do Lords & Barry stack-up?

I purchased the Lord mounts recently. The big difference is that they have a gel filled insert that goes between the hard and soft rubber biscuit. When compared to other mounts that I have seen in the past, the Lords seem to be nothing but top quality. I even called Lord and was able to speak with one of their engineers before making the purchase. He offered a lot of great information and said that I wouldn't regret using their product. He said they transmit much less vibration through the airframe than other brands. By the way, I really shopped for mine and found Sky Geeks to have the best internet price. I hope this information helps you.

AERO

I purchased the Lord mounts recently. The big difference is that they have a gel filled insert that goes between the hard and soft rubber biscuit. When compared to other mounts that I have seen in the past, the Lords seem to be nothing but top quality. I even called Lord and was able to speak with one of their engineers before making the purchase. He offered a lot of great information and said that I wouldn't regret using their product. He said they transmit much less vibration through the airframe than other brands. By the way, I really shopped for mine and found Sky Geeks to have the best internet price. I hope this information helps you.

My check showed AERO to be cheaper for the expen$ive Grumman ones (Lord only)...:)

http://www.aeroinstock.com/products/Engine-Mounts/121/0/product_cat/index.html

Check both sources....:)

gil A

I purchased the Lord mounts recently. The big difference is that they have a gel filled insert that goes between the hard and soft rubber biscuit. When compared to other mounts that I have seen in the past, the Lords seem to be nothing but top quality. I even called Lord and was able to speak with one of their engineers before making the purchase.

I agree on all points. The engineer I talked to at Lord was familiar with RV's and had some good advice on which mounts to buy (sorry, I don't have the part number handy right now, but it has appeared on VAF recently). I decided that the extra cost of high quality mounts is negligible compared to the overall cost of my project, so I went ahead and bought some. We'll see how well they work in a year or so!

mcb

I'd like to put these on my plane. What else do I need besides what comes from SkyGeek? I guess I need the bolt kit from Van's, but do I need anything else?

Thanks,

Don't be cheap get the best here

Van's supplies Vibration Isolation Products engine mounts - I've read that these may not hold up so well. Is there overwhelming evidence to this claim? If so, how do Lords & Barry stack-up?
Search my user name and LORD and you will find part numbers and my rant and rave why Lord mounts are better. They are a different design and the others a just cheaper clones. Van always go low bidder. It's not holding up, its better vibration control and gross engine deflections during start and shut down. No need to repeat, search my comments and don't be cheap. :rolleyes::eek::D

Search my user name and LORD and you will find part numbers and my rant and rave why Lord mounts are better. They are a different design and the others a just cheaper clones. Van always go low bidder. It's not holding up, its better vibration control and gross engine deflections during start and shut down. No need to repeat, search my comments and don't be cheap. :rolleyes::eek::D

I did the search. No Joy. I searched gmcjetpilot and lord.

Part numbers?

Vans drawings give a J-9613-45 part number (drawing 46A).

This particular part number does not seem to be listed by any vendors at this time.

Anyone have a better Vans updated part number?

gil A

Last edited:
Part numbers

I spoke with a Lord's engineer today. He was very familiar with our aircraft and told me to use J-9613-40 or -49. As he put it 'which ever is cheaper' and further stated 'these are identical for your purposes' - apparently these different dash numbers reflect a Piper vs Cessna part.

Lord differences.... what do they mean...

I spoke with a Lord's engineer today. He was very familiar with our aircraft and told me to use J-9613-40 or -49. As he put it 'which ever is cheaper' and further stated 'these are identical for your purposes' - apparently these different dash numbers reflect a Piper vs Cessna part.

Well, not exactly....

They both use a J-12334-1 spacer, and a J-9612-8 rubber block...

...but the -40 uses a J-7763-1 other side rubber block, and the -49 uses a J-7763-33 block.

My Tiger used to use the -49 (for the first 400 serial numbers) but then switched to a -59 which is the same as the two above, but with a J-7763-6 other side rubber block. This change apparently smoothed out vibrations transmitted to the airframe from the O-360-A4K motor (and raised the price 50%....:rolleyes:...)

There do seem to be subtle changes in one of the side rubber blocks - which is the harder of the two rubber blocks.

The no longer around -45 part I mentioned above is similar, but uses a J-7763-10 hard side rubber block.

I wish that Lord would give a better description of what the actual changes in the rubber blocks are... which one is harder? ....by how much?

So.. the choices seem to be...

J-12334-1 spacer
plus
J-9612-8 soft side block

hard side choices...

J-7763-1 - salesman
or
J-7763-10 - original Vans
or
J-7763-33 - salesman
or
J-7763-6 - possible upgrade (Grumman) from the -33 part...

...and all seem to be applicable to O-360s.

gil A

PS - actual data from a Lord Technical Reference LB-571 document found on my copy of "Mechanic's Toolbox" from Vans, made by Sacramento Sky Ranch. The only place I could find real data....:)

PPS - for over $400 I would like (actually, expect) the best part if I pay the Lord premium...

Last edited:
RV-9A

For my RV-9A with an 0320 Lycoming, does anyone have any idea what the coversion # would be for Lords? I'm sold on using Lords.....
any help appreciated..

Henry

Per the above quote:

...use J-9613-40 or -49. As he put it 'which ever is cheaper'

If still in doubt, call Lord tech support.. they're very helpful.

PS.. I went with -40...

From what I I get from Gil's post, the -40 & -49 are for the 0-360 engines:"...and all seem to be applicable to O-360s.", mine is an 0-320......

I just ordered a set from Jeppesen as well at 105.71 a set so the price is still good. Vans wanted $125 a set and skygeek wanted 147 a set.