Sparrowhwk

Patron
Hello all EIS and Garmin gurus:
I have an legacy (non-touch) G3X with the associated engine monitoring displayed on the engine screen.
I would like to have a separate stand alone engine monitor and was wondering if I need to change out the sensors or if there are good options using the existing sensors.
I assume the Garmin EIS (GI 275) or similar Garmin product would work - but are there any other systems that would avoid having to replace all the sensors?
Should I look at the Engine monitor system without considering the replacement of sensors because I'd end up with a better product if I just replaced everything?
This would be for a RV-8 with IO-360.
Thanks

Not sure I would call myself a guru but I am using an old out of production Dynon EMS D10. It replaced the Rocky Mountain Instruments microMonitor. I replaced most transducers like it was a new installation when I moved to the Dynon EMS D10. I could have reused many of them but wanted better quality transducers than the VDO ones I was using. There was a notice about bad transducers a few years back that were used both by Dynon and Garmin. IF the Garmin uses the same Type "J" and "K" thermocouples, then my bet would be that I could reuse everything switching to the Garmin monitor from my Dynon.

Depending on what brand / model engine monitor you want to use, my suggestion would be to obtain the installation and operating manuals and check them against the probes / transducers that your present system is using to see if they can be reused with the other brand.

Seems like your easiest and probably cheapest option would be to add a second GDU 37x display. Four wires and done.

Seems like your easiest and probably cheapest option would be to add a second GDU 37x display. Four wires and done.
Matt, this is a good suggestion and one that has crossed my mind. But in the RV-8, panel space is limited so a second GDU may be a challenge. I am looking at a panel upgrade and was more thinking about how best to incorporate a stand alone EMS in the new panel, and whether I should consider replacing all the sensors - or use a product that would work with the currently installed (and working) sensors. If I want to avoid replacing all the sensors - do I have to stick with the Garmin EIS ? I am guessing like everything else Garmin - the sensors are proprietary and won't work with other Engine Monitor manufacturers?

I am guessing like everything else Garmin - the sensors are proprietary and won't work with other Engine Monitor manufacturers?
Garmin doesn't manufacture its own engine sensors as far as I know, so anything you have already installed that's supported by another system ought to work in theory. A thermocouple is a thermocouple, everybody supports Kavlico pressure sensors and EI fuel flow transducers, etc.

Section 21.2.6 in your G3X installation manual (revision AU) shows how to upgrade from a different EIS installation to a G3X system, so you may find this information useful if you want to go to the other way.