llavalle

Well Known Member
I was wondering if there is a recommended color to paint the visible part of the landing light bay & support? The goal is to avoid unnecessary glare.

Right now I'm on the self etching primer (gray) but it's a bit too glossy for my taste(paint was still a bit wet)

DSC04620.JPG

Any suggestions? I was thinking of flat black enamel...

After priming, I added a piece of aluminum foil to the top of the bay using spray adhesive. I didn't worry about the back of the bay because the bulb is housed in a reflector and I didn't worry about the bottom of the bay because the light is generally directed down. Seems to work fine. Glare is not really an issue; the light is recessed enough that it doesn't scatter a whole lot.

Left mine shiny aluminum for better reflecting. Glare won't be an issue for the pilot (I bench tested the leading edge section out in the street with a power supply when I rolled my own HID's). I just wanted maximum reflection including a little scatter to better illuminate the ground when taxiing. Since you primed, I would recommend a very light paint - eg white. But it really doesn't matter, as almost all light will be focused (refracted) forward anyway.

I painted all the parts the same color as the leading edge of the wing. I really like it.