Anna

Hello all of you!

We've some questions to the sliding canopy for our RV-8. We don't know if we should take the canopy form ?Todd's Canopies? or from Van's.
How similar is Todd's canopy to the canopy of Van's, is the size about the same for example in the height? Does it make sense to take a tint one? And would you prefer a canopy from Todd or from Van's, which quality is better? Is it still possible to take the sliding canopy latch with Todd's Canopy?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best wishes from Bavaria
Anna

Hi Anna,

I used a Todd's Canopy on my -8. The material is a bit thicker which both makes it stronger and heavier. The shape is a little different at the aft end requiring some minor canopy skirt modifications. The slope at the rear of the canopy is shallower with the Todd's than the stock.

The Todd's is less expensive and you have a wider selection of tints available. I went with a tinted version and really like it.

The canopy also comes partially trimmed without the flange and much closer to the final dimension.

I'm very happy with the choice I made.

YMMV

Ken

Hello all of you!

We've some questions to the sliding canopy for our RV-8. We don't know if we should take the canopy form “Todd's Canopies” or from Van's.
How similar is Todd's canopy to the canopy of Van's, is the size about the same for example in the height? Does it make sense to take a tint one? And would you prefer a canopy from Todd or from Van's, which quality is better? Is it still possible to take the sliding canopy latch with Todd's Canopy?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best wishes from Bavaria
Anna

Annan,
You'll see alot of votes for Todd's canopies on here so I'm sure they are good quality. Having met and worked with Jeff and Becky, who makes the stock canopy for Vans, there is no better folks out there - IMHO. I also have noticed that some of the Todd's canopys, when viewed on the flight line at OSH against stock versions, was more 'peaked' or taller overall, a fact which turns me off. I went as low profile as I could and not cut the weldments down.
Also I modified mine with a sloped windshield - which I now sell on my website: www.romeo-victor.com

PS I shy away from tint since I plan to fly at night and I don't need any excuses to make a bad night landing on my narrow home strip.

Happy hunting!

Panhandler 1956 response, Sloped Windshield Question

I know the expected result given the sort of blunt RV-8 windshield but have you actually tested this for relative speed against the identical airplane with the stock windshield? If so what were the results? This is theoretical interest only as I do not own an RV-8.

Bob Axsom

I know the expected result given the sort of blunt RV-8 windshield but have you actually tested this for relative speed against the identical airplane with the stock windshield? If so what were the results? This is theoretical interest only as I do not own an RV-8.

Bob Axsom

Bob,
Good question.
I haven't had the opportunity to compare it yet. I'm still early in Phase 1 so I haven't even calibrated my aircraft's airspeed yet. I did drag race a 180hp c/s -4 and pulled away, but that's not an apples-to-apples comparison. I'll try to gather some data and report back.

This particular product does not blend smoothly to the main canopy. If you look closely you'll see that the canopy and windshield make a small but abrupt discontinuity due to the fact that they aren't tangent to each other.

That might either cause separation or more likely just turbulent flow over the canopy, either of which would increase drag over a fair intersection.

Probably very difficult to eliminate with a flat-wrap windshield.

Dave

Thanks a lot for all your help! :)
Does anybody know how much heavier Todd's canopy is?

Best wishes Anna

Several choices

Where you able to find a difference in the weight?

Thanks

Aaron

Aaron,
Several years ago, Todd told me that an RV8 canopy made from 1/4" thick sheet would be 5 pounds heavier than one made from the 3/16" sheet that Vans supplier uses. Todd can also supply canopies in 7/32" thickness [adds 2.5 pounds] or the stock 3/16"
Charlie

Info direct from Todd

I just received the following email from Todd.

Hi Charlie, Thanks for the link. If I make a tinted canopy I start off with plastic .220 of an inch thick. I start off with .236 for a clear canopy. According to my measurements, Van's starts off with .177.

Todd

New service from Todds Canopies

Just got an email from Todd. He told me that he can now offer help with canopy installation on RV8/8A. He says with help from the builder, it should take about a day to install.
I don't know what the distance limits or fees are for this offer. You can contact Todd at [email protected] to learn more.
Charlie