Fearless

Well Known Member
What axle bolts did you use when installing the wheel pant bracket on the gear leg when mounting the axle, brake disc and pant bracket? The plans in section 35 say to use the AN4-16A's but they are too short when you use the washers as spacers to clear for the brakes. AN4-19A's or AN4-20A's? What have the consensus of builders replaced with?

What axle bolts did you use when installing the wheel pant bracket on the gear leg when mounting the axle, brake disc and pant bracket? The plans in section 35 say to use the AN4-16A's but they are too short when you use the washers as spacers to clear for the brakes. AN4-19A's or AN4-20A's? What have the consensus of builders replaced with?

Was this question meant to be posted in the RV-12 forum?

Yes

Yes it was because that is what we are building. The plans show to use AN4-16A's but they are too short when using the wheel pant kit.

Yes it was because that is what we are building. The plans show to use AN4-16A's but they are too short when using the wheel pant kit.

Your signature says you are building an RV-9A......

The spacer washers are only used when the wheel pant attach brackets are not being installed, so that if wheel pants are installed at a later date, the proper bolts are already in place.

The wheel pant install instructions say that when the U-00003 Bracket Mount is installed, discard the two washers that were under the heads of the bolts.

Thank you

Thank you for the clarification. I must of skipped over that point in the instructions. The drawing clearly shows that the two washers aren't used.

As a follow up, yesterday I went back and installed the bracket, axle and brakes using just the plan recommended bolts. I need to do a better job of actually reading the instructions. The drawings for the wheel pant instructions shows only using one washer where as the instruction within the finish kit shows using three. Thank you to rvbuilder2002 for clearing that up for me. The three washers method would be an installation where wheel pants aren't used to make up the difference in length for the wheel pant modification.

Last edited: