rwarre

Well Known Member
I found an ammeter gauge from VDO which states that it does not need a shunt. It is much cheaper. Has anyone used a gauge that does not require a shunt or am I not understanding the set up. Thanks

I have one too!

I bought a Mitchell that has an internal shunt. What I found in laying out my panel (I have removable sections) was that it made for a very awkward installation. I would have to bring a number of high current cables through the firewall and then back to the firewall mounted battery. I switched to a unit using a shunt that now sits on the engine side of the firewall. I have a RV-6B, or 6C because I put a lot of the -7 mods on it.

Paul
N694BP reserved

shunt.

I am not familiar with this particular guage, but generally, ammeters that require no shunt route all of the load current through the gauge itself. If that is the case, I would opt out. It would mean lots of fat wire, and the load being routed behind the panel. The purpose of the shunt is to provide a remote means to sense current loads. This is a MUCH safer installation, and has the capacity to save a good deal of weight. Also, high current loads traversing the panel is bound to wreak havoc with sensitive radio and nav equipment. I would get more information about this gauge before you decide.

Regards,
Chris