Davepar

Well Known Member
I'm using Van's rebuilt 60amp alternator on a 180hp IO-360. The alternator kit instructions say to start with a Gates 7350. Unfortunately the unhelpful clerks at Schucks don't carry Gates belts and have no idea how to cross reference them to anything other than car model/year. I'll have to order it online from rockauto.com or other.

I used a string to measure around the starter ring gear and alternator pulley. That came out to about 33". According to rockauto.com, the Gates 7350 is 35-5/8" long. That sounds too long, but I'm not sure if that's inside or outside diameter of the belt.

Any recommendations? Otherwise I'll just order 10 belts of various sizes...

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Dave the PN 7350 means its a 35.0" belt. If it were a 7355 it would be a 35.5" and 7360 it would be 36.0" long. I am using the Vans Alternator and mounting kit as well. I used a 36" belt and holding the flywheel in my hand I put the belt in the flywheel grove, then in the alternator grove and slid the flywheel onto the crank hub. This gave me the best adjustment range on the alternator. If you can squeeze a 35" belt on there then you are a better man than I :)
I hope this helps.

http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/ENGINE/06-02-05.htm

COWLING%20070.jpg

-Jeff

I had to cheat

I found that Van's shorter of the two sizes was too short and the other was too loose. The only solution was to put the shorter belt on before fully attaching the alternator. Then, draw up all the bolts and nuts.
h

Dave,

I bought a 7350 and a '55, and liked the fit of the '55 best. Fortunately, my local auto parts store could cross-reference them, but they did have Gates in stock. I bet there must be an on-line cross-reference somewhere...

Don't know if that helps you or not.

Paul

Last edited:
I'm using a Carquest 7355 on the same set up as you have. The 7336 is ok but doesn't allow for stretch. The 35 was just too short to give me the clearance I wanted between the mount and the oil line for the prop.
Cost was $11 plus a few cents.

Thanks everyone. There's a Carquest nearby so I'll try them at lunch.

I looked in the box of goodies that Mattituck sent with the engine and there was a 7365 belt in there. (They accidentally installed an alternator, but it was way too big so I returned it.) I tried that belt just to see what it looked like. Definitely too much slack. Either a 7360 or 7355 looks like the ticket.

Dave

7360 Worked for Me

My O-360A1A with Van's 60 amp setup works perfectly with the Gates 7360; just enough room to get the belt on, and it snugs up easily with plenty of adjustment left over on the alternator bracket if it needed tightening later on. The alternator stays close to the engine and away from the lower cowl, and there has been no contact/interference with the cowl so far.