AX-O

Well Known Member
I have been trying to figure out what code to use based on my onboard equipment. I have a Garmin 396 with XM weather, Mode C and the applicable charts.

Do I use /U for Xponder with Mode C
or
Can I substitute the Garmin 396 as a Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) and use /A?

I know that a standard DME measures slant range and that GPS measures actual distance. Just don?t know if the substitution is acceptable or not.

Below are some of the codes

NO DME
/X No transponder
/T Transponder with no Mode C
/U Transponder with Mode C

DME
/D No transponder
/B Transponder with no Mode C
/A Transponder with Mode C

it really doesn't matter for VFR. I've been using /G for VFR flight following when I say the type and they just ignore it.. in most cases they just put /T... After you do this enough times, you realize that for VFR they really don't care if you're /U or /A...

Now, if you're filing IFR.. that's a different story...

For FAA purposes, a portable GPS is not considered as equipment, therefore you are /U. If you had a panel mounted GPS, you could be considered /A (substituting GPS for DME) or /G with a GPS "with approach capability".

For FAA purposes, a portable GPS is not considered as equipment, therefore you are /U. If you had a panel mounted GPS, you could be considered /A (substituting GPS for DME) or /G with a GPS "with approach capability".

Thanks. (extra words)

I have been trying to figure out what code to use based on my onboard equipment. I have a Garmin 396 with XM weather, Mode C and the applicable charts.

XM weather is irrelevant for equipment suffix, btw. Wouldn't matter if you had on-board RADAR or any other equipment for weather. The equipment suffix is to describe *installed* (not handheld) equipment for *air navigation*.

I presume you meant you had a Mode C transponder? (ETA: I see that now in your second line...sorry...)

Likewise, whether you have charts on-board or not doesn't matter for equipment suffix. (However, if you're using electronic charts in your on-board equipment, such as a panel-mount GPS, the database must be current).

This will probably restart some old debate about using handheld (not "installed") equipment for IFR :). Lord help us.

Steve

Last edited: