Mike D

Well Known Member
I've searched but cannot find, so....

Which adhesive to use.

There are epoxy, acrylic, and urethane from many suppliers. There are many different variations of each. So which to use and where?

Acrylic to fiberglass:
Seems most here use a urethane. Not sure if this is just what worked or it is the correct adhesive for the application. Seems you would want either epoxy or acrylic in this instance. So, why does everyone use the urethane? Seems the Urethane would have too much flex and create issues later.

Aluminum or steel to fiberglass:
Seems the consensus is still a urethane. But looking at Lord or 3M, they recommend a high impact acrylic for this use.

Fiberglass to fiberglass:
Seems some recommend the urethane again. Why not just use epoxy? Why use the Lord 7545 A/B??

Looking for education. This stuff can get expensive if I need to do the experimenting. :)

To be very specific, I want to glue a steel stud to fiberglass.
something like this one (there are many other types also)

McMastercarr - Perforated Base Studs (think these are form Veck)
msm1.jpg

Weld Mount versions:
sob_thumb2.jpg

Clickbond is just too expensive. Weld mount is more reasonable, but the McMastercarr version is the best price if I can figure out the adhesive thing :)

Edit: the McMastercarr version is from Veck and they recommend a acrylic adhesive. So have that one covered. So now for the others :)

3M 2216 A/B adhesive

I recommend 3M 2216 A/B (2 part) grey adhesive for any composite-metal bonding. For fiberglass to aluminum or steel, it is the favorite choice from Boeing and used widely in the "big plane" construction/repair. I'm in the bussiness and see it every day. I used it on my-4, and many other things I've built over the years. Google it..its everywhere.

Bill is spot on with the EC2216 but it expensive and hard to come by in small quanties. If the temperature in the installation area is not too high you may look at 3M DP-100, it comes in little self mixing kits with a plastic dispenser gun.

Clickbond

You mentioned that Clickbond is expensive. I guess it is. Since most of my use is small quantities, I buy the small packets of Clickbond. They run about $1.50 each.

Truth is, Clickbond is one of the strongest adhesives I've ever encountered. Definitely worth the price. Any high bond adhesive is going to be pricey.

$1.36 per packet plus shipping etc.. http://www.theflightshop.com/Cataspx299.html

CB200
3.5 gram Adhesive packet $1.36

NOTICE: Adhesives ship via UPS only and may be subject to a hazardous material charge depending on quantity and classification/designation.

Click Bond offers acrylic and epoxy adhesives and sealants appropriate for bonding fasteners and patches. Easy to use pre-proportioned adhesive packet or cartridge systems are available. *Cartridge requires dispenser and mixing tips