mcsteatlh

There I was, doing T-G's all morning long with my instructor scolding me about keeping the nose straight. Keep the nose straight! Stay on the Center line. Your drifting! Small Corrections! TOO MUCH! Light on the controls you lead foot! The approach was good, the speed was mostly good, and just then, 10 feet off the ground, I would drift, mostly to the left, and I would over correct and get all cattywhumpus just before touching down. GRRRRRR. After 10 or so of these, my instructor stopped the plane short and tried to get out ofthe **** thing :eek:!!!!!! He obviously didn't like the look in my eyes, or the vice grip I plunked on his forearm when I told him "tomorrow. We will do it tommorrow." :) :) Whew. Saved that 172 for another student today.

McSteath

Pray for light winds.:D That is the greatest feeling taking off for the first time with no one in there but yourself. It sure climbs better but floats further too. There is no way the instructor would get out of that plane unless he new you were ready. It might not have been pretty but I'll bet you would have done just fine. This is a special time in you flying adventure so try to enjoy every minute. Good luck tomorow!!

One day you will "gel" with that 172 and you'll be making landings like an old pro. You showed great judgment by not soloing until you're ready. Keep at it and remember to wear an old shirt the next time. ;)

Ah! those training days. I had times like that also. When it came time for my solo I put a stipulation out to my instructor. You see I wanted to make it something that I would always remember. What did I do? Well I wanted to solo at our class C airport during busy time. The instructor finally agreed and he made sure I was on my game. So we flew all sorts of landings for 1 hour before hand, than it was time, talk about butterflies. I went out to the runway and almost got lost, you see taxiway G is wider than the runway which is 150ft wide and 9000ft long, and it runs a long side the main runway. I actually asked for a progressive to help out, again butterflies, being this was my training airport, they just widened this taxi way. I made it to intersection D for take off and was asked to hold short for landing traffic. This is way cool because you are about 50ft from where a 737 will land with main wheels touch down, and I got a front row seat. I looked over to the approach end of the runway and saw 3 more passenger jets taxi to the approach end. I sat there waiting some more and looked to my left and saw another 737 coming in, cool, I think I'll just sit here a little longer. Soon as the 737 rolled by I was told to possision and hold. So out onto the runway I go, with the 737 still rolling out on the runway. Than I heard the tower tell another 737 to possision and hold, there will be a Cessna taking off at mid field. Now I was feeling weard, I felt like a sandwitch, a 737 in front and one in the back. As soon as the 737 in front turned off I was told to take off and make a left turn out as soon as possible and not go over 3100ft. OK, here we go. I pushed the throttle in, as soon as I left the ground I pull a left turn and went for the 3100 ft. As I was making my turn I heard the rumble of the 737 taking off behind me, soon I saw him making a left turn above and kind of to the right of me. I did my three touch and go's with a bunch of traffic, but was it fun. Will never forget it.

Back to your little problem, this is normal, I had many times that I was just scared, cautious. I still have that today, if I try something new I try to talk myself out of it. I guess try little things that lead up to it. Like yesterday, I always wanted to land on a frozen lake. I would get right down to doing it and chicken out. Well yesterday I finally did it and it was a breeze.

There I was, doing T-G's all morning long with my instructor scolding me about keeping the nose straight. Keep the nose straight! Stay on the Center line. Your drifting! Small Corrections! TOO MUCH! Light on the controls you lead foot! The approach was good, the speed was mostly good, and just then, 10 feet off the ground, I would drift, mostly to the left, and I would over correct and get all cattywhumpus just before touching down. GRRRRRR. After 10 or so of these, my instructor stopped the plane short and tried to get out ofthe **** thing :eek:!!!!!! He obviously didn't like the look in my eyes, or the vice grip I plunked on his forearm when I told him "tomorrow. We will do it tommorrow." :) :) Whew. Saved that 172 for another student today.

McSteath

Never heard of that before. My students were always **** glad to see me get out of the airplane. They always seemed to look forward to the peace and quiet of solo flight.

Enjoy your solo. Best day of your life.

Get yourself another instructor. If you truly feel scolded this guy is not creating the proper environment for you to learn in.

You may wonder how long it will be before these doubts go away. Short answer--hopefully never. As long as you push your own envelop carefully, you will continue to learn, and more importantly, continue to live. Stay heavy on the caution. Today I looked at the winds--4o degree cross from the left (over trees) and gusting. Hadn't done that in a while. Too long. But I said it was time to brush up, and it worked really well. I feel better about turbulence on final and in flare as it was good practice. A few more knots wind, and I would have stayed home. BTW, set a new personal GS record over the airport, slowed to 21.5 mph. Yup, flying is something you will always learn from.

And yes, you need someone to pick your flying apart. Otherwise you'll think you are better than you really are, or at least develop bad habits. At 1000 hours, I still take a really critical instructor along from time to time to whip me into shape.

Bob Kelly

Make yourself do it right!

These two things are key to good landings and when, not if, you learn to fly a tail wheel, they will become even more important!

Those two things should be taken as "givens" if you are going to call yourself a pilot. Folks who don't land on the centerline are usually just lazy and not making the airplane do what they want. It's not rare though.
When I was line checking at my old airline, I saw a lot of it. Never accept it and always try harder to do it right!

You're gonna love it - but be prepared for a much better glide rate when you pull power on final - it'll float for quite a bit and won't drop airspeed as fast as you're used to. I distinctly remember the shock I felt when climbing out on my first solo takeoff at the way it climbed without my instructor on board - but he was kinda a big guy, too.

Get yourself another instructor. If you truly feel scolded this guy is not creating the proper environment for you to learn in.

Agreed. Totally. My instructor told me I was "landing too soft". He wanted me to stall the 172 one wings width over the runway and plant the gears on the runway. Worst instructions I have ever heard of, landing a plane too softy.

Last edited:
instructors

It's your money. Spend your money on an instructor you can stand.
They eat using the money you pay them.

Turkeys you can't stand, you don't feed.
That way, they don't come back :)

I disagree. Any instructor who doesn't critique your progress is just building time.

Of course critique, that is what you're paying for. We're not talking critique here, Mr McSteath said "SCOLDED". There's a huge difference between the two. If an instructor feels the need to scold then I'd, as a third party, be looking at how he or she is setting up the instruction. Also, if I were an employer, as in FBO, I wouldn't put up with someone representing me that acted like that. Perhaps it's time the instructor goes back and gets some instruction on instructing. A good instructor will tell you what you're doing wrong and show you or explain to you how to fly it right.

Motivation

Of course critique, that is what you're paying for. We're not talking critique here, Mr McSteath said "SCOLDED". There's a huge difference between the two. If an instructor feels the need to scold then I'd, as a third party, be looking at how he or she is setting up the instruction. Also, if I were an employer, as in FBO, I wouldn't put up with someone representing me that acted like that. Perhaps it's time the instructor goes back and gets some instruction on instructing. A good instructor will tell you what you're doing wrong and show you or explain to you how to fly it right.

Scolding, or worse, screaming is no way to motivate a student. I was blessed to have a primary instructor that somehow made you want to do it right. No scolding just calm instruction. Interesting that 43 years later I can still hear Maureen's voice in the back of my head now and then. My favorite was a phrase that I say to myself when things get a little tense. As a student I had a tendency to get a little "tight" in the feet when the pressure was on. With no particular emotion in her voice Maureen would say "John, wiggle your toes." Meaning: be aware of your feet. That one really helped during ugly, middle of the night simulator checks at the airline.

John Clark ATP, CFI
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I remember my solo... He got out, I took off, and on upwind, I just started laughing out loud... kept a smile on my face all the way until shutdown. :D

DanielHooversolo.jpg

Last edited:
Never heard of that before. My students were always **** glad to see me get out of the airplane. They always seemed to look forward to the peace and quiet of solo flight.

Enjoy your solo. Best day of your life.

After I landed from my solo my instructor came running up to the plane and asked "How was it?" I said "Quiet!" That guy couldn't stop talking when we were flying. It drove me nuts. Later I learned it was all part of learning to fly with "realistic distractions."

I was the same way you were about not wanting the instructor to leave. To prove a point (I think) she fell asleep on the next few T&G's. I knew I was ready then.

9 years later and I still can't stand to have an instructor in the airplane. :) It's amazing how one T&G changes your life.

Enjoy the memory!

I knew I was ready to solo when my instructor was chatting on his cell phone and didn't even realize we had landed and taken off again. Boy it climbs really fast when you take out 240lbs of dead weight!

Voices in your head

The thing about having your instructor constantly harping on you about this or that, is that once you do solo, you still hear him or her harping on you about this or that. It's like he never even got out of the airplane!

Thanks.....

I use the 'scolding' word in slight jest of myself. Yes my instructor is a bit, hmmmm, abrupt, but I knew this coming in. I can learn from him and he is a good pilot with university teaching (coaching) credintials. I'm okay with it. I'm a big boy. :)

Didn't get to fly this weekend. Weather is bad today here in the Hill Country. Maybe get to solo tomorrow.

Wish me Luck

McStealth