MXpilot1

One of the fuel gages on my -6 reads full all the time. I'm not the builder so my questions are: Where is the fuel sensor located? How does it operate (float?)? How do I gain access to it?

Pull the wing root fairing. On the -7, it is mounted in the center of the inspection plate. It is possible that the wire is grounded. This should cause a full scale deflection. On my 172, 50 ohms gives a full scale deflection, 240 ohms is zero fuel.

I am assuming that you have a float. It could be capacitance. If so, you will see a BNC connector and nothing coming out of the inspection plate.

If capacitance, measure the resistance between the center electrode of the BNC connector (tank side, cable disconnected) and tank ground. It should be pretty high if not infinite. If it is zero, something internal is shorted. if the resistance is high, I would suspect the converter or a ground.

Last edited:
In the wings

Hi MX
Remove the strip of aluminum that covers the wing/fuselage joint. The float senders are in the first rib, ahead of the spar. You'll see a wire attached to the sender or it may be broken.....not sure if that'll give you a full reading or not.

If you have to remove/replace the sender, you're gonna need some pro-seal to reseal the tank after you open it up. I had to remove one of mine because it was leaking and it's easier done from underneath the airplane.
Regards,