jrdalton

I keep hearing that safety wire is used "everywhere" on the airplane, but I'm wrapping up the tail kit and have only had to use it on the elevator hinge rod. The plans don't call for it anywhere else.

I expected to have to safety wire the HS attach bolts, especially since they do not "face aft" but towards the front (I always thought all bolts had to be facing down and aft....). Am I missing something on the safety wiring. Do any of the bolts need to be wired?

Jeff

The statement recommending that bolts always be installed facing down, aft, or out, ends with "unless the manufacturer directs otherwise" (or something similar to that, can't remember the exact wording).

As for safety wiring... Most of it is done in the engine compartment, though there are a few places scattered elsewhere in the RV-10 airframe. Besides the one you mentioned, safetying a rod end to the end of the flap motor is another that comes to mind.

safetying a rod end to the end of the flap motor

Scott,
You mentioned safetying a rod end to the end of the flap motor. I have been worrying about how that should be done. I have done mine twice and still not convinced I did it right.Any tips or pictures? I twisted my wire around the indentation between the nut and bolt and then up thru the hole I drilled in the flap motor but I would have felt better with a bolt with hole not an "A" bolt as specified.

Jeff -

It's not so much that "Safety wire is used everywhere in airplanes", it's that "everythgin in airplanes is safetied - somehow". In the case of our RV's it seems that between lock nuts and cotter pins, almost everything is covered, with the twisty pliers only needed a few places. Just enough places to give you some nice stainless steel stab wounds!

Paul

Ironflight said:
Just enough places to give you some nice stainless steel stab wounds!

Paul

Yeah! I did that last night - buried the end of the safety wire in the joint of my thumb while doing the fuel pick up SB. Ouch - blood everywhere.

T.

TruTrak servos and brakes

If you are putting a TruTrak autopilot in your plane, each servo will require three bolts to be safety wired. (wish they'd have let me use longer bolts and nyloc nuts instead!)

Then of course there's the two bolts on each brake caliper that have to be safetied.

mcb

cleve_thompson said:
Scott,
You mentioned safetying a rod end to the end of the flap motor. I have been worrying about how that should be done. I have done mine twice and still not convinced I did it right.Any tips or pictures? I twisted my wire around the indentation between the nut and bolt and then up thru the hole I drilled in the flap motor but I would have felt better with a bolt with hole not an "A" bolt as specified.
Cleve
To safety the flap motor to the rod end, just drill a small hole completely throught the the flap motor and the rod end. Pass the safety wire through and twist the two ends together. That's it.
You could get fancy and tap threads for a machine screw, but that's up to you.

sf3543 said:
Cleve
To safety the flap motor to the rod end, just drill a small hole completely throught the the flap motor and the rod end. Pass the safety wire through and twist the two ends together. That's it.
You could get fancy and tap threads for a machine screw, but that's up to you.

I think all of the different RV models have a detail on the flap actuator drawing which shows the recommended way.
It entails drilling a small diagonal hole at the end of the actuator tube and then wiring to that.