Dreadpilot

I'm New Here
Hello everyone!

I just bought a partially completed RV 6. The fuselage is complete w/ O320 hung. Wings are done with ailerons and flaps done. Everything is at the airport.

I'm trying to decide how best to proceed. Advice would be appreciated!

Wings need to be mated to the fuselage.

The panel is partially complete- but I want to change to EFIS.

The electrical is partially complete- but I want to simplify and use a VP-X.

The engine is set up for a wood prop- but I want to go constant speed.

The engine needs an exhaust system.

The ignition is older mags- I'd like to update to at least partial electronic.

Thanks!

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Scott----welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

You have set forth on a major life journey, and it sounds like you have some specific goals in mind, thus the questions you asked.

First question for you, is what is your prior building experience, and knowledge??? For us to give you the best advice, this is helpful information.

All of what you propose is doable, takes time and money------the amount of work you farm out will directly effect the cost, and time before you get it done.

If you are really in a hurry to be flying, most of the changes are fairly easy to do to a finished plane-----big exception is the electrical/panel work.

Are you an EAA member?? Is there a local chapter you could get into??

Good luck, and again, welcome aboard.

I would...

Remove forward top skin if installed.
Leave the wings off until all of the wiring is done... They just get in the way.
Remove all existing wiring.
Start with a new instrument blank.
Plan wiring for VP and selected EFIS.
Wire everything and test electrical.
Given your engine I would also stick with mags and fixed pitch prop... very marginal gains (if any) for the trade off in weight at that horsepower and it will be quite expensive and time consuming.

Good luck!

I just bought a partially completed RV 6. The fuselage is complete w/ O320 hung. Wings are done with ailerons and flaps done. Everything is at the airport.

Congrats on your purchase!

I'm trying to decide how best to proceed. Advice would be appreciated!

Treat it like a quick build. Pull the plans out, start on page 1, and review each task to ensure it's complete and meets yours (and the FAA's) expectation on quality.

This is the only way that you'll discover if a step has been missed. It's also a good tutorial for you to bring you up to speed on the build. Hopefully, you won't find any tasks that have to be redone.

Wings need to be mated to the fuselage.

No worries, just follow the plans.

The panel is partially complete- but I want to change to EFIS. The electrical is partially complete- but I want to simplify and use a VP-X.

Now is the time to make those changes. Install what you like and meets your mission. The VP-X is a nice unit.

The ignition is older mags- I'd like to update to at least partial electronic.

There are plenty of choices available. You may want to consider G3 Ignition. They work with standard mags, without the electrical complexities of the other options. Larry Vetterman has a nice write up on his web site. (Which is where you need to go for your exhaust)

Your Welcomed......

bob

Congrats on your purchase!
Ditto

Treat it like a quick build. Pull the plans out, start on page 1, and review each task to ensure it's complete and meets yours (and the FAA's) expectation on quality.
Very good advice!

Larry Vetterman has a nice write up on his web site. (Which is where you need to go for your exhaust)
Buy directly from Larry, you will save a few bucks.

Remove forward top skin if installed.
Leave the wings off until all of the wiring is done... They just get in the way.
Remove all existing wiring.
Start with a new instrument blank.
Plan wiring for VP and selected EFIS.
Wire everything and test electrical.
Given your engine I would also stick with mags and fixed pitch prop... very marginal gains (if any) for the trade off in weight at that horsepower and it will be quite expensive and time consuming.

Good luck!
All good advice.

As for the electronic ignition thing, we all have opinions (my favorite is the P-mag), but this is your plane and only you can figure out what is best for you. Same goes for the VP unit. I built my plane for day/night VFR use and didn't feel the complexity of an electronic electrical distribution panel was needed. Again, this is your plane, build it the way you want it, not the way others (including me) want you to build it.

The prop swap is dependent on your engine. You may not be able to change the FP to a CS prop. Post the dash number and someone will be able to tell you.

(Funny, you consider using the VP-X as a simplification and I consider it a complexity.)

I'm going to repeat Bob's advice both for emphasis and because, no matter how good you feel about the project you bought, it's worth going over it with a fine-tooth comb. Start with the plans and virtually go over every step. Any parts left out? Any rivets need redoing? Re-torque every fastener! (Like no one ever forgets to torque a bolt, right?:rolleyes:). Fix problems as you go and, when you get to a part that is/will be affected by the changes you want to make, do the modification work then. It won't take long and by the time you get back to the present-day point in the construction you'll be able to finish up easily as if you'd been the original builder all along. You'll also have a good idea of the order in which you wish to tackle the final tasks by then, too.

All good advice before. Without knowing too much about the engine, you may want to wait before changing around too much. If it's new, maybe you can make a swap for a different one. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to leave it as is while planning for a swap later.

Great Advice- Thank you all!

The original builder told me I'd have to double check everything.

I'm realizing that for two reasons. A) Double check, and B) Learn about the process and design.

I've been haunting around here for a long time dreaming- now I've got the opportunity to build! I will continue to read and re-read. Most of your advice I had suspected- thank you for confirming with your experience.

From what I've read: many have installed the wings to drill the final holes (after leveling, setting sweep, incidence, etc.) and then removed the wings. Is there a reason for waiting till a final stage to do this? Is it easier to do it in one step, drill for incidence, and then bolt the wings on for good?

I'll agree though, it's going to be easier to work on and around with the wings off.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice!