steve murray

Well Known Member
I have a completed RV8 and want to have a portable 396 in the cockpit. I do not want to go back into modifying my panel and am looking for ideas on how people have mounted\use their Garmins outside the panel.

Steve
RV8 N62KM

i Steve -

Depending on how your current panel is paid out, you might be able to use a RAM mount off the roll bar weldments (triangles) if that doesn't block something, and you want the 396 up high. Take a look at this thread, and you can see where I have mine, as I didn't want to block anything. It is on a RAM mount off the 804 close-out.

Paul

I bought a RAM-B-138-GA7U RAM mount with 2 1/2" round base from GPScity.com for $29.95.
I took off the round base and threaded the center hole on the back of it for 1/4 x 28 threads, which is the same as an AN4 bolt. Then I made a 2 1/2" circle of 1/8" aluminum with a 1/4 " hole drilled in the center. I padded both pieces with some glued on thin rubber to eliminate scratches.
I then bolted this to the roll bar gusset, through the 2" hole. Hold the plate with the bolt on the wind screen side of the gusset and screw the 2 1/2" mount on the bolt from the inside of the cockpit. (Sorry, no pictures.)
You can then mount the 496 as shown on the mount diagram.
Works out OK for me and no modifications to anything in the cockpit, but may depend on what you have mounted in the right side of your panel.
Good luck.