tomagin

I ordered the fuel pump and filter kit from Vans. It came in a box marked RV-8/8A. Inside the box with the parts was a drawing dated 1998 that shows the fuel filtere mounted vertically on the gear tower. Adel clamps for this are included. However, the drawings that came with my QB RV-8 dated 2006 show the filter that way on the 8A but for the 8 it is mounted in the area under the fuel selector valve. Seems about the same as far as servicing the filter. How are people putting it in on current kits??? Any views. I'm inclined to put it on the gear tower as I have the right hardward for this version.

Tom

It will be a whole lot easier to clean if mounted below the fuel selector panel.

Times change

My standard fuselage kit delivered March past, includes DWG 82 dated 1/31/06. I installed the filter per plans.

I put an access panel on the lower left fuse to get easy access to this area. All my wiring and duct work to FWF runs by here and is a great place for an access panel. I believe the filter would make for a tight fit near the fuel valve. But I have a rear heat scat tube duct and smoke lines running by my the valve making it worse for me. Other access panels here http://mstewart.net/super8/accesspanels/index.htm I also recommend the gear tower mod seen here. http://mstewart.net/super8/geartower/index.htm
access3_small.jpg

IMG_3856_small.JPG

Last edited:
My -8 is an early kit, #240. All I had to go by was the -8A drawing which I had to call and ask for. My fuel filter is in the vertical position on the front of the left gear tower. It is a real bear to get to during the annual condition inspection. I have to get my whole body thru the front baggage door to get to it... not too easy with the mid-life expansion, if you know what I mean.

I would put it somewhere else if I were doing it again.

Karl

This is where I put mine. Sure wish I had thought of the external access panel. Good idea, Paul.

fuel_pump.jpg

thanks for your comments. Since I had the hardware for the vertical installation I went with it -- vertical on the gear tower. Maybe it will be a little harder to access but i'm 6'1" and can reach through the forward baggage access. Also it is probably above the level of the fuel tank and less fuel will be spilled in an inspection/cleaning. Running the fuel lines seems to be of equal difficulty either way.