ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
The instructions say to clamp the C-657 canopy tracks in place onto the aft canopy decks after drilling the #40 pilot holes but I can't for the life of me find where to position them. I see no dimensions on the drawings so how do you clamp something when you don't know where it goes? Any ideas?

The location of the canopy tracks is dictated by the location of the slider frame rollers.
I suggest that you place the canopy frame into the position that you want it on the fuselage, with the required (final) inset from the fuselage sides, and then locate the tracks so that they are exactly parallel front to rear, and the rollers slide freely and centred in the tracks.
I positioned the tracks on the sliders using duct tape before drilling any holes.
It is recommended that the front (and rear) canopy frame be initially bent/adjusted so that it is narrower than the desired final width to allow for some "springback" when the plexi is attached - your canopy track location should be to the final position, of course.
Scott McDaniels wrote a useful article about canopy fitting in the RVator 2002 volume 5 which you could usefully refer to.
Bill Brooks
RV-6A
Ottawa, Canada

from memory

I believe there is a dimension for the width of the tracks in the assembly instructions (40+ inches on the -7) and I also recall a dimension at the rear of the track related to the screw that goes through the rear seat back cross member. Also as mentioned when you add the plexi to the canopy it tends to pull the rollers apart in the order of 3/8 to 1/2 inch.
You have to carefully study all the slider drawings as bits and pieces of information are spread all over the place.
This is from memory.