tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I plan on using the GRT EIS 4000 in my 8A and I am trying to determine where to mount the "head" or main unit. I plan to use an EFIS, most probably the GRT which will display engine information passed along to it from the main unit which can be installed anywhere.

We 8 guys have a shortage of real estate on our panels.

Where are you guys mounting the GRT EIS main unit in the cockpit? Any suggestions would be appreciated....pics would be most excellent.

Tony

I'm not sure if it will work on an "A" because of the main gear leg brackets Tony, but mine (in the -8) is in the little panel right behind the fuel selector. Perfect spot fir my left hand to reach down and cancel alarms!

Paul

Thanks Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the info. I had considered that spot but I was concerned that it would be hard to read information from it, I take it that is not a problem? Do you find that get all the information you need from the EFIS display?

It will just barely fit ahead of the gear mounts, but is doable. It will be tricky cutting the hole in exactly the right place on the cover.

Tony

GRT

Tony:

I have just installed the GRT EIS and Sport 200 in my -8. I installed the EFIS top center with the EIS just underneath. I've only flown it a couple of times since installation. This position makes the initial set up data entry easier because of the close proximity.

In retrospect after two flights, I kinda wish that I had installed the EIS where Paul did because it looks like I'll only be using it to silence alarms. Need more experience to really know though.

This may not work with the -A because of where your fuel guages go.

As a back-up, it is fine reading it down there. And yes, I never look at it - everything I need/want is better displayed on the the EFIS screen. But I could use it down there if I had to.

Paul

EIS

Tony:

Just had a thought.........:confused: You probably aren't going to use the van's fuel guages any way since you'll be using the GRT fuel reporting system, so you could fabricate a mount for the EIS where the fuel gauges were supposed to go.

Just remember; any change to the plans require an exponential increase in build time!:eek:

I did mine similiar to Paul's

on the lower right side but I rebuilt that flat panel. Mine is in front of the fuel selector knob and I tilted the front 6" up about 1 1/4" to improve the angle and provide a little more clearance for the cables. If you are interested, send me a pm and I'll send you some pictures (I'm too lazy or not bright enough to figure out how to post them :p)

H