BruceP

Well Known Member
I have purchased the Dynon fuel transducer and am wondering if anybody has installed this and where they put it. Any pictures would be very helpful. Thanks!

They have been mounted in many locations, almost anywhere after the electric pump will work. It will stay cooler if you mount in in the cabin or you can mount it FWF. some prefer after the mechanical pump others before, they all seem to work pretty well. I had mine in the cabin because I wanted to keep it (and the fuel) cool.

I'm not sure how different the Dynon transducer is from a FlowScan. FuelScan says to install between the mechanical feul pump and the carb.

Working from the carb back, I replaced the 90 degree NPT-AN elbow right at the carburetor with a NPT-NPT elbow and installed the transducer direct to the elbow. I then installed an NPT-AN adapter on the inflow end of the transducer and the fuel line to that. I thought I had a photo handy but I cant find it at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how different the Dynon transducer is from a FlowScan. FuelScan says to install between the mechanical feul pump and the carb.

Working from the carb back, I replaced the 90 degree NPT-AN elbow right at the carburetor with a NPT-NPT elbow and installed the transducer direct to the elbow. I then installed an NPT-AN adapter on the inflow end of the transducer and the fuel line to that. I thought I had a photo handy but I cant find it at the moment.

It is definately NOT recommended to mount the Xdcr directly to the Carb, if mounting between the mech fuel pump and carb there should be firesleeved fuel line on both sides of the xdcr.

RV-6A, O-360 installation

I have purchased the Dynon fuel transducer and am wondering if anybody has installed this and where they put it. Any pictures would be very helpful. Thanks!

Here's a picture of my O-360 setup with fuel flow downstream from engine driven fuel pump. Not a Dynon engine monitor but shows sensor installation. Note that this picture was taken prior to first flight, actually even before moving to the airport, so some cleanup was done to wire runs, etc, and I did put firesleeve on the firewall to gascolator fuel line. A little over 240 hours now on this setup (edit: should also mention that before first flight I added a double adel clamp setup to engine mount for the fuel line going to carb to better secure that line and hold it up a safe distance from the exhaust heat shield):

FuelSystemLabeled.JPG

Full page on fuel system with other pictures is on my web site at:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/FirewallForward/Engine&Systems/Engine_pg_5.htm

Last edited:
It is definately NOT recommended to mount the Xdcr directly to the Carb

Again, I can not speak for the Dynon installation as my RV-8 was retrofitted with a FuelScan 450.

20110903-074111-576x227.jpg

The FuelScan documentation describes the optimal installation:
  • the transducer is between the mechanical fuel pump and the carburetor
  • the transducer is horizontal and at or slightly below the level of the connection to the carburetor
  • ideally a strait section of feed before and after the tranducer
Each of these has it's own reason. Being after the mechanical fuel pump means fuel is pushed thru the transducer rather then pulled. Being level, while a subjective state relative to the pitch of the aircraft, is intended to maintain fuel on the inlet side. The strait sections on each end of the transducer are meant to reduce turbulence in the fuel flow.

I my case, there were significant complications with securing the transducer if I "floated" it in the middle of the fuel line. I opted to have an A&P review my decision and place the transducer at the elbow leading to the carb. The install is very stable, is working well, and keeps my install as simple as possible. YMMV.

It is important that the entire assembly be in fire sleeve. The FuelScan comes with a large diameter fire sleeve for this purpose. It is large enough to enclose the transducer and extend several inches on both ends - compressed at each end (with safety wire).

Last edited:
I took the easy route for my FuelScan transducer. I mounted it before the electric fuel pump parallel to rudder paddles. I had to cut a hole on the center cabin cover (F982C) since the transducer is a bit taller than the cover. When the electric fuel pump is on the fuel flow reading is higher than it should be. Since I don't keep electric fuel pump on for too long my fuel quantity reading has been very accurate for the past 1,000 hrs.