hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
I thought I saw a thread on this a while back, but searching OAT and O.A.T. and "Outside Air" is coming up with zero matches. I located mine inside the NACA vent before I read that it will give high readings. What does the group's collected wisdom suggest? Thanks.

I have mine (dynon) sticking out of the aft fuselage below the right horizontal stab. This does three things, keeps it away from engine heat, keeps it out of the sun, keeps it from getting broke off when someone tries to brush by it.

Have the GRT system. Mine's in the first inspection panel on the right wing. Fits right inside a snap bushing. Forget what size, though.

hevansrv7a said:
I thought I saw a thread on this a while back, but searching OAT and O.A.T. and "Outside Air" is coming up with zero matches. I located mine inside the NACA vent before I read that it will give high readings. What does the group's collected wisdom suggest? Thanks.
I originally located the OAT probe deep inside the NACA vent and the only time the readings were accurate was when the airframe temperature matched the ambient temperature. Upon start up and in flight, the readings were always much higher than the actual OAT.
img001720yv4.jpg
img000320editedlf5.jpg

I relocated the probe as shown above and now the readings are relied upon as accurate. When the access cover is removed, a modest service loop in the cable allows the cover to be displaced more than enough to conduct normal inspection chores. The relocation effort was a simple affair given the location of the digital OAT gauge. A toggle on it allows the choice between a Celsius or Fahrenheit display.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone

All were excellent suggestions. I used Scott's because it was easier for me to do and seemed more likely to get the sensor away from any possibility of warmed air from the engine. Thank you all for contributing. I installed it this morning. The snap bushing is a perfect, tight fit, making installation very easy.