Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a flying RV-9A slider. I want to install a simple (non-electronic) OAT gage somewhere on the plane. Any advice on where/how to do it? I am thinking about drilling through the front canopy near the roll bar and letting the probe stick through, but I can't recall seeing this installation on any other RV's. Thanks.

The (elec.) probes that have been placed in the NACA air scoops on the sides of the fusalage have been reading around 6 - 8 degrees high due to engine heat. The top of the cowl gets quite warm too; and I can imagine that some of that heat would be picked up by a probe on the canopy.

Mine (elec.) is under the wing, outboard the prop arc. Seems to do well.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Doug,

Welcome to the forum and to RV ownership.

Do a search on the subject, it comes every so often.

LA is correct, those installed in the NACA duct tend to read high.

Some have put them out in a wing inspection cover plate, other just out in the wing. In put mine in the aft most bulkhead, under the empennage fairing. Once you start moving, enough air goes through there that it reads accurately. I simply enlarged the tooling hole on the half round bulkhead.

FYI, you will have to remove a LOT of inspection covers to run the wires, regardless of the location you select. You might want to think about waiting until your next condition inspection to install this.

......... I want to install a simple (non-electronic) OAT gage somewhere on the plane. .............

Doug, Can't help you with the location, but I'd be reluctant to drill the canopy for a OAT.

RTQ fella's. He's looking to mount a simple gage, sans wires.

RTQ fella's. He's looking to mount a simple gage, sans wires.

Brian,

Thanks, I missed that. I would hate to seem him drill the canopy for his OAT as the few I have seen done this way have cracked the canopy. This might be caused by the air loads, but I really don't know.

I recently purchased a flying RV-9A slider. I want to install a simple (non-electronic) OAT gage somewhere on the plane. Any advice on where/how to do it? I am thinking about drilling through the front canopy near the roll bar and letting the probe stick through, but I can't recall seeing this installation on any other RV's. Thanks.
I installed this type of remote OAT gauge behind me on the passenger side. With a flip of the toggle it displays either F° or C°. I find it easy enough to turn my head on those infrequent occasions when I want to view its display. The probe wire is a fairly short run and terminates in the middle of an access cover underneath the horizontal stab. It is a fairly simple retrofit, but you do have to supply power to its display.

2mcybee.jpg

Hey guys, I am talking about a simple non-electronic thermometer. It has a dial with a 4" probe that sticks out into the airstream. My C-172 trainer and a Baron I fly in uses this device. No wires. Is there a place that it can be mounted that is easily seen by the pilot and gives a reasonable temp reading? This is a VFR airplane.

Doug,
For several years, I had one sticking through the side skin just below the longeron and just forward of the spar carry-through bulkhead in my -6. I made a bracket that was attached to the longeron closeout and let the probe stick through the side skin. It seemed to be pretty accurate.
I removed it when I installed my Dynon.

slider handle

Doug,
Since your plane is a slider, perhaps you can figure a way to get the probe in the airstream where the canopy handle penetrates through the canopy. I would think you could easily look up and see the gauge if it were somewhere near the canopy latch handle. Not sure if this would work or not but it is just a thought.

Hey guys, I am talking about a simple non-electronic thermometer. It has a dial with a 4" probe that sticks out into the airstream. My C-172 trainer and a Baron I fly in uses this device. No wires. Is there a place that it can be mounted that is easily seen by the pilot and gives a reasonable temp reading? This is a VFR airplane.

Doug,

Please don't drill the canopy for the OAT!

You haven't mentioned what you have in the panel of your -9A. If you have any instruments that accommodate an OAT probe you will most likely achieve much greater utility if you use their probe. As an example, the Dynon OAT probe not only provides outside temp, but also real-time TAS and density altitude.

I also have a VFR plane and would never consider a conventional OAT like you mentioned since there are many electronic options that offer far more value. The difficulty of finding a mounting location on our little planes is just one factor against the old-style probe. In my plane, the only practical reason for OAT is the TAS and density altitude indicators since as a VFR daytime pilot I won't ever stick my plane into freezing clouds, right? :)

Enjoy your new plane!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. I mainly wanted to have the device so I could answer my wife when she asks "how cold is it out there?" Sam is correct, there is no real reason to have to know, since we don't fly in freezing clouds. Since it sounds like there is not a real good and easy solution, I think I will pass until I upgrade to some electronics that can display all the useful temp data.

BTW, this is a fantastic site, and I am learning a lot in a hurry from you guys. I may not have the official "RV Grin", since I did not build this plane myself, but I do smile a lot when flying.

Doug

Thanks for all the responses. I mainly wanted to have the device so I could answer my wife when she asks "how cold is it out there?" Sam is correct, there is no real reason to have to know, since we don't fly in freezing clouds. Since it sounds like there is not a real good and easy solution, I think I will pass until I upgrade to some electronics that can display all the useful temp data.

BTW, this is a fantastic site, and I am learning a lot in a hurry from you guys. I may not have the official "RV Grin", since I did not build this plane myself, but I do smile a lot when flying.

Well................ I just have to know!

It often gets hot at lower altitudes, and I'll keep climbing until the temp is something I'm happy with!

Yesterday, I found some 29 degree (F.) temps that felt rather good. Even though my wife had the heat blowing on her side..

L.Adamson ---- RV6A --- elec. OAT

For what you need the temps for, just stick it in your air vent.......... And if you don't have a temp gauge yet, purchase a meat/poultry thermo at the market.... works great. Stick it in your air vent and it will be within 5 dg of oat.........:D