Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
view

I bought an RV-4 a few months ago. I love nearly everything about it right down to the lettering. Now i am stuck trying to find the exact same lettering. Can anyone tell me where to find the white letters that around 1/8 to 1/4 inch in this picture?

Im close to installing a Nav 122 and need to rename a circuit breaker.

Thanks

Todd

looks like Arial Bold font?

I had Stein make up a sheet of wet transfer decals - sent him my Word document in Arial Bold, asked for white decals for my dark panel. Recall $25 per sheet - had multiple copies of the lettering made so I have on hand if need to redo anything.

Coated with mutiple coats of a matte spray from Home depot, sanding after every few coats, eventually brings to same level

I went the SteinAir route as well. Easy, and great results. The water-slide application give you plenty of time to do the final positioning.

Steins printer that is able to do white lettering on water slide decals is broken and there is no plan to fix it due to the cost involved, so if that's what you want, you will have to go elsewhere.

He is getting set up to do laser engraving of panels in the near future but not quite there yet.

Erich

I had a set of custom dry-transfer decals made for all my lettering. The best part is that I could draw them in the same CAD program I used to design the panel. Rather than having to apply a separate decal for each switch/word/group of words, I could apply them in sections. For example, my CB panel labels were all applied at the same time and aligned with the water-jet cut holes perfectly.

This is what the label sheet looks like:
FP10022014A0001V.jpg

FP10022014A0001X.jpg

FP10022014A0001Y.jpg

I had a set of custom dry-transfer decals made for all my lettering. The best part is that I could draw them in the same CAD program I used to design the panel. Rather than having to apply a separate decal for each switch/word/group of words, I could apply them in sections. For example, my CB panel labels were all applied at the same time and aligned with the water-jet cut holes perfectly.

This is what the label sheet looks like:
FP10022014A0001V.jpg

FP10022014A0001X.jpg

FP10022014A0001Y.jpg
That's one of the best panels I've ever seen! And I've seen a lot.

WingsOnWheels,

Who did you go to make the decals?

I used http://drytransfer.com/

The name of the contact there is Avery. They did a great job and also included a burnishing/application tool with my order. Cost for the Full sheet was a little over $100 with shipping. The sheet size was large enough to have multiple copies of text just in case. The backing for the letters is a heavy plastic, so it was easy to align the decal sheet and tape one edge to the panel. Lift the other edge of the sheet up and remove the thin protective cover and lay the decal sheet back in place. No water or soaps to deal with. No chance of bubbles. Just have to be careful when lifting the sheet off that the lettering isn't partially stuck.

I used a flat 2k urethane clear over the top of the decals. I ran a number of paint tests first and had no issue with lift with this or thick coats of clear. FYI, they look great with a gloss clear as well.