gtmule

Well Known Member
My plastic tackle box with my GNS430 and GTX327 connector shells, a bunch of wire terminals, switches, and hardware was (for some reason) stolen out of my car recently. Anybody know what the best place to replace the connector shells (I think I still have enough pins left to finish) is? I shouldn't need pins, bodies, or anyhting else, just all the shells for a 430 and a 327....

I guess I'll RE order my switches, terminals, etc now.....ugh.

My plastic tackle box with my GNS430 and GTX327 connector shells, a bunch of wire terminals, switches, and hardware was (for some reason) stolen out of my car recently. Anybody know what the best place to replace the connector shells (I think I still have enough pins left to finish) is? I shouldn't need pins, bodies, or anyhting else, just all the shells for a 430 and a 327....

I guess I'll RE order my switches, terminals, etc now.....ugh.

Sorry to hear about the theft. What a bummer!

I would talk with the vendor that you purchased the gear from. They should be able to order the connector kits for you. Most may even have enough product in stock to ship immediately.

If you bought used, I would recommend either SteinAir or Aerotronics.

i have a GTX330 tray/shell I believe that is no longer going to be used for my project, make me an offer if it will work for you

Mouser

I got the 25 pin cinch backshells from Mouser, $3.59 each. They also have the bigger ones in-stock. I believe the 50 shell size is what fits the 78 pin. I'd double check the dimensions first, though. Their catalog page is below and the item is figure "G", third column in the description.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/1451.pdf

Last edited:
I got the 25 pin cinch backshells from Mouser, $3.59 each. They also have the bigger ones in-stock. I believe the 50 shell size is what fits the 78 pin. I'd double check the dimensions first, though. Their catalog page is below and the item is figure "G", third column in the description.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/1451.pdf

You're the man! I'll measure the parts up tonight, I assume you mean the high density 78 pin or whatever looks like the 50 pin regular density shown there?

I assume you mean the high density 78 pin or whatever looks like the 50 pin regular density shown there?

Yes, the 50 pin regular density d-sub is the same size as the 78 pin high density d-sub that we use on the 430W so shell size "50" is what you want. Also, I believe the 25 pin regular is the same size as the 44 pin high density so they both take shell size "25".

Hope that helps,

Added info about backshell connectors for the Garmin GNS 430W and other older Garmin products. It took many hours to find a source and understand what was needed so I wanted to make it easier for others that follow.

Start by opening this link to the Mouser catalog page. The 430W takes 3 of the "Deep Straight Clamp Junction Shells" shown as picture G. The two smaller d-subs are a 25 pin standard density and a 44 pin high density which take the same size shell and the larger one is a 78 pin high density. You will need two of Mouser part # 538-DB-24659-32 (shell size "B" or "25") and one of part # 538-DD-24661-34 (shell size "D" or "50").

To decode the shell size, look at the second column on the Mouser catalog page at the Cinch Part Numbers. The second letter of the part number is the shell size. E=9 pin standard which is the same size as the 15 pin high density, A=15/26, B=25/44, C=37/62 and D=50/78.

Last edited:
Yes, the 50 pin regular density d-sub is the same size as the 78 pin high density d-sub that we use on the 430W so shell size "50" is what you want. Also, I believe the 25 pin regular is the same size as the 44 pin high density so they both take shell size "25".

Hope that helps,

Sehr gut! I intend to visit the hill country when I get flying again...

GT,

I chose to use cinch backshells completely, on all my avionics. It was partly a shielding (metal shell) and partly an aesthetic choice. They are a royal pain in the xxx, compared to the PC plastic jobs, so be warned. I'd still do it again, just because its the way I am....

Another warning about the Garmin. They use some "U" shaped castings with two threaded holes for attachment of the cinch backshells. I needed one. After much searching (Stein and elsewhere) I was not able to get one by itself without buying a whole install kit. I wound up sticking a couple of 4-40 nylock nuts on the cinch backshell with scotchweld epoxy.

There was an offer for used stuff above. Consider it seriously. :)

Last edited: