RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

A quick question: I have bought a dynon headstart package with all the engine probes, but did not receive documentation to consult, hence my question.

I need to drill my EGT probes in the XP-IO-360 exhaust, but what is the correct measurement. I searched and see some people put them at 1" other at 2".

What is the correct EGT probe location measurement and from where?

PS: I know from my 2 stroke Rotax days the exact position is very important to get accurate readings to compare to engine company operating recommendations. Wrong location = Wrong comparable Readings

Thank you in advance.
Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Hi Rudi,

Gil pointed you to the right place. The only thing I'll add is that it's important to try and put all the probes the same distance from the exhaust flange (for each cylinder) if you want to try and match your EGT's. Absolute EGT rarely means much for us piston guys - you will be comparing them, and for that, you want to be consistent.

Paul

Like Paul pointed out, the important thing is that all probes are the same distance form the exhaust flange. If the probes are closer, they will have a faster response, if they are farther, they will last longer. If you go more than about 4", they will respond rather slowly.

Watch your plugs!

Make sure you orient them where they dont interefere with your spark plug wrench. Sounds simple, but I have seen it done. Having to pull your probe to change a plug is no good.

Very good point, Jon. I have run into this problem on several inspections.