UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - after months of reading and reading, I'm just about ready to start construction of my 7. The empennage kit came in last week and I've inventoried it. Now I'm watching the Orndorff construction videos before I start this adventure.

On the videos, he uses some small jig fixtures during the construction of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers (these are small metal parts that has a hole that a string goes through to make sure that they are aligned straight). He uses some small bolts to temporarily mount the rear spar. On the video he mentions that they are available from Avery. I've looked through their catalog and didn't see them. I also called them and they didn't think they carried them any longer (in their defense, I'm not sure I described them well).

Does anyone know where I can get a few of these jig fixtures and the small string holders used in these videos?

Thanks,
Jason

Does anyone know where I can get a few of these jig fixtures and the small string holders used in these videos?

Thanks,
Jason

That is a rather old video...RV-6 I think.
The new pre-punch Emp. kits do not require any jigging per say as was shown in that video.

I'm not sure how old the DVDs are, but the tail he was building is pre-punched. I may be able to get buy with out using these small jigs, but looking at the video, it just looks like it may be easier with them.
Thanks,
Jason

Those are from the days before the substructure was pre-punched too. You won't need 'em and it's easier to build on a bench.

Great - thanks for the responses. I'll just build them on a very flat work bench... no jigs needed...

Since they are longer than my work bench, I've thought of ordering some engineered 2x4s and clamping them to the work bench... they should be straighter and warp free.

Any reason not to use the engineered wood?

Thanks again

The tool you mentioned can be made by taking a couple of AN3-4 bolts, removing the threaded portion, and drilling the center from the head through the shank. And despite what the pre-punched guys say, they are good for checking the alignment of the hinge line. Not so much the brackets as the rod end bearings, to be sure you've got them all lined up without having to keep fitting them to the brackets. Just get the inboard/outboard bearings where you want them (top/bottom for the rudder) and then use the tool to set the center bearing.

Great - thanks for the responses. I'll just build them on a very flat work bench... no jigs needed...

Since they are longer than my work bench, I've thought of ordering some engineered 2x4s and clamping them to the work bench... they should be straighter and warp free.

Thanks again

Jason,
You don't even need a perfectly flat table. The horizontal and vertical stabilizers will entirely cleco together and self align. You just need a padded work table to lay it on. It will be fine if it hangs off the ends. In fact there will be times when you will find it easier to work on portions of it if it is hanging off the edge of the table. A nice flat table will be more necessary when you start building ailerons and flaps, but its not a big deal for the emp. The manual will explain how to properly align the rudder and elevators. It can even be done on a not perfectly flat table.

Thanks again

I don't know about the -7 but the -9 didn't need a really straight/flat table until the ailerons and flaps get assembled. (doing the flaps now on my -9).

You don't need a jig for the tail feathers. But, the EAA bench is a must. I used them for my wing jigs, worked great. If you build the benches, build two, to plans, they are solid.

Brackets

Jason
Avery used to sell the brackets. It does not look like they offer them in their catalog anymore. I have a set of the brackets if you want to borrow. Just return after you are finished.
Aaron

Jason
Avery used to sell the brackets. It does not look like they offer them in their catalog anymore. I have a set of the brackets if you want to borrow. Just return after you are finished.
Aaron

AMURRAY - I really appreciate the offer. I'm going to give it a shot without the jig fixtures, but once I get in there, I may take you up on your offer.

Thanks again,
Jason